Review for Lykia Links

I played this on a beautiful November day, with no wind, and it was a joy to experience a course of this quality and uniqueness. Saying that, however, this is not a World Top 100 contender. It might be long for the shorter hitters, yet the fairways are so generous that it's quite hard to put your ball in serious trouble.

The flattish holes closest to the Med, Nos 12 to 16, are probably too wide open, and would benefit from more definition and shaping to make them interesting. While it has a strong links appearance, it is dissimilar from UK and Irish links in that there was virtually no run on the fairways when I played there.

Every drive was creating a pitch mark in the fairways, and leaving mud on the ball. This made the course even longer to play, and I eventually settled for the blue tees (5869 metres). The course, with its paspalum fairways and greens, was in good condition when I played there. The superb turf makes for easy walking.I liked the fact that most golfers were walking the course, and not riding carts.

Best holes? The tenth is a superb par 4, but difficult for the average golfer. I liked the 12th, with something of a blind tee shot, and then walking over a dune to discover a beautifully created green. The seventh is a stunning short par 4 with water guarding the left side of the fairway.

Date: November 05, 2016