Review for Machrihanish (Championship)

I played at Machrihanish in August on a fifteen day tour of Scottish courses. Playing 36 per day, we arrived in Campelltown and found a nice B&B outside of town and found our way to the links. It is somewhat unassuming at first, but as with many of the great courses I've been blessed to play it has that special something. The pro shop is quite small but could there be a more spectacular setting? Of course the first tee shot is what is so often spoke of and is all of it and more. The 1st green is classic links sunken into the land with a taste of the wild greens to come. While we were playing the round,with the expansiveness of the property made us feel small and quite alone. It has been written in some of the other reviews that the last two are a let down? I found them to be an opportunity to reflect on the round,and possibly recover a shot from the other 16. This place is more than just hype and a remote location. It is an absolute must for any real lover of links golf. After playing 36 for two weeks straight I am most excited to return to Machrihanish.

Date: January 19, 2010

Read all reviews about Machrihanish (Championship)