Review for Machrihanish Dunes

I went back to Mach Dunes in June 2018, 6 years after having played it for the first time. I had fond memories of the course and its many unforgettable holes, despite its overall brutal nature, and I have to say that my hopes for as good an experience as before was easily surpassed. The course was extremely difficult in 2012 with invasive rough colluding with a general sense of disorientation as you played. However, with the rough now more controlled, a clearer idea of the task in front of you, greens that hold approaches much more than your typical links course and whose speed is moderated due to the severity of the breaks, scoring can be made with good shots and poor shots are still heavily punished. You are forced to think all the way round, especially when faced with multiple options on and around the greens. Many drives have to be aimed at marker posts, a couple of approaches as well, massive changes in elevation on fairways can help or hinder, on plenty of putts the only way to get it close is to aim off in a totally different direction and try to use the massive borrows around the greens. Whilst I found all this enthralling and the most fun I’ve had on a course in years (bar playing Ballybunion last year), another of our party found it all a bit too unfair and less proper than it should have been. There are too many amazing holes to go through them all, however I would play hole 10 over and over again despite the raw deal it gave me! If you get a chance, play it, and enjoy all it throws at you.

Date: June 27, 2018