Review for Machrihanish Dunes

Well, first of all the green steel the show. I’ve never played a course that is shorter but as hard as this. As the stroke saver says the hole is not over till your ball is in the hole. I’ve got to say I three putted many holes and loved every second. It is hard not to compare to its neighbour but some of the holes here are special. It has such a natural feel combined with a championship standard of greens. The course was quiet and was off the beaten track and adds to the experience. One negative is I can’t help but think this course has so much untapped potential to be top 10 in Scotland. The bunkering for me is a big part of links golf and as a three ball we hit maybe 3 bunkers the whole round. As said I loved every minute, blind shots galore and some uneven lies to go with it which I usually don’t take too kindly too but this is a special course. Not trying to bad mouth any course but of course the two machrihanish courses are worth the trip. This course certainly carries the flag as it’s so much fun and the greens are some of the best in Scotland. Simply a joy to be able to tee it up here.

Date: August 23, 2021