Machynys Peninsula - West Wales - Wales

Carmarthernshire,
SA15 2DG,
Wales

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Machynys Peninsula

It is easy to understand why Machynys Peninsula was seen by many as the best new course built in Britain in 2005. With a hefty total of ₤3.5 million shelled out for the layout and an even greater sum of money spent on the clubhouse, Machynys enjoyed the sort of budget that should deliver one of the very best modern golf designs.

Money alone can never ensure success with a new golfing project as location has a large part to play in determining whether a new course will attract rave reviews but the stunning site that Machynys Peninsula is built on – situated beside the Wild Fowl and Wetlands Trust at Penclacwydd and the Millenium Coastal Park – as good as guarantees its position as a “must play” venue in Wales.

The course is routed in two distinct loops with a parkland front nine and an inward half that has more of a links feel beside the sea. Gary Nicklaus acted as chief designer on behalf of his famous father and his favorite hole is the 451-yard 16th which, as he says, “is played across the lake from right behind the clubhouse (and) is probably one of the most beautiful holes on the course. The view from the green of the whole bay is spectacular, whether the tide is in or out”.

The standard scratch score here from the tournament tees is three over par, letting you know Machynys Peninsula can be set up for some serious competitive golf, and indeed, it has hosted the Wales Ladies Championship of Europe every year since it opened for play.

Reviews for Machynys Peninsula

Description: With stunning views of Carmarthenshire Bay and the Gower Peninsula, the Nicklaus-designed 7,100-yard links-style Machynys Peninsula is set to become a Welsh flagship course... Rating: 7.2 out of 10 Reviews: 31
Santiago Fernandez
Played at Machynys on the first bank holiday in May, 2008. The course is absolutely fantastic, and has been kept in perfect shape. The staff were friendly and contributed to the positive experience. If you are a low handicap, you must play this course from the "tips". There are some tough holes, lots of movement and the greens are rolling beautifully. Will definitely come back.
May 07, 2008

Rod Wiltshire
What can I say? Yet another fabulous day at Machynys, not just for our party but also it seems for the other visitors we talked to. It still amazes me how all the staff I meet are not only enthusiastic but take a great pride in their place of work.Obviosly I am biased but my visits have quite frankly become the highlight of the year.Machynys is a truly living and vibrant entity and it is just great to see it grow and mature. A MUST visit for all golfers and playable by all standards
August 10, 2007

Chris Queen
I took a group of 23 guys to Machynys Peninsula last Saturday and to a man we thought it one of the best courses we have ever played and the group included some very well travelled golfers.We also thought the clubhouse facilities were excellant and found the staff in all areas to be particularly friendly and helpful.The fact that a number of the guys have indicated their wish to return and play the course in the not too distant future is testament enough.
June 09, 2007

W
I first played the course when it opened in May 2005 (yes that’s correct at the time of writing this it’s barely 20 months old) I have played it a couple of times since and most recently through this winter almost on a weekly basis as the GF is only £15! The course has changed significantly since my first attempt at playing there. Then the fairways were very tight and a links style, i.e. fast running fairways which shortened the length of the course, nowadays they seem to have made the fairways a touch longer so the ball sits very invitingly but with less run, the definition also looks so much more appealing to the eye. The style of the course is difficult to explain, it’s most definitely not a links course, however it is located near to the costal path, which encompasses the perimeter of the course and acts as a barrier from the beach and beyond. A sight to treasure is playing the short par 3 - 17th with the water crashing on the rocks a few paces from you. Its location leaves it exposed to the elements and there is a prevailing wind, which can make several holes very challenging and rewarding - the 11th - a par 3 with copious amounts of water is only reachable from the tips with the “timber section” of the bag, whereas with no wind it’s reachable with a mid iron! Despite its length from the back I found it to be an easy walking course, you come across the back tee of the next hole from the green you have just left without having to walk out of your way ( 4th to 5th being the exception) It’s been very cleverly thought out in design (as you would expect taking into account it was the Nicklaus family that designed it!) Each hole seems to be individual in that you appear to be on your own on the course; there is no crossing, no waiting for others to tee off or putt etc. I can’t recall ever hearing that dreaded four letter F word – FORE. The greens are receptive a perfectly true putting surface and cut at a very good pace, with some very subtle breaks which are not apparent on your first visit. I have made more birdies per round on this course than at any other course I have played, but allied to that is that each hole unless carefully thought out is also a potential double! Having read some of the reviews, I wonder if I had played the same course as some of the reviewers, in the last two years its held a Ladies European Tour Event and will in 2007, also in 2007 its to hold the Welsh Amateur Championship and the Boy’s International - Those events being put on by the LET, WGU and the R&A. and its accessible for £15 – damn good value for money at more than 5 times that price! To put it into perspective with the other courses it competes with locally, I have also played Royal Porthcawl – this is a fabulous venue and its old world charm is I suspect how golf used to be played, but at £90 for a round or £150 for the day its out of my league – but its one of the courses that you have to play just once to tick it off the “to do list.” P&K is a near neighbour of RP and would encourage a visit there over Porthcawl any day of the week (but only if you have played RP once!!!) Pennard is a true links course and with that comes the horror bounces from perfect shots, it’s best to play the course in winter as its bone dry whatever the weather, in the summer it becomes parched and very unpredictable, it offers stunning views from many of the holes. Ashburnham has no doubt been a quality course in its time but is now looking a bit tired and in need of some TLC. Due to its accessibility, value, condition, playability and enjoyment factor I would have no hesitation in recommending Machynys ahead of the aforementioned to all golfers irrespective of ability and experience.
December 30, 2006

pooley
I played this course on the 9th of November. It was a beautiful sunny day.After a 2 hour drive (due to traffic), I kitted up, put my tour bag on my powakaddy. I went to the club house, only to be told that there no trolleys or buggies allowed on the course. As a result I had to carry a 10.5" tour bag around a 7000+ yard course. During my agonising struggle, I noticed that the ground was extremely firm (due to the apparent drainage system). The most annoying thing about this day was not the fact I had to carry an extremely heavy tour bag around 18 hole, but the fact that I saw 4 tractors on the course and also numerous service vehicles, driving over tees, greens, etc. ALL OF WHICH WEIGHED INFINITELY HEAVIER THAT MY TROLLEY AND BAG PUT TOGETHER!!!!!!! I have now been to see the doctor regarding the damage caused to my back. It will take a few weeks to heal. So my advice to you is......... If you want to play a long, boring, non-memorable course, that will cause injury to yourself, play this course. P.S. after writing this review, I was told by a friend of mine that they also refused a trolley to a golfer with a heart complaint and a doctor's note stating that he couldn't carry!!!!!!
November 13, 2006

Tom Stevens
December 02, 2006
Having now played this much talked about course, I feel that it is one of the best I have played. It is a new course and it it completely understandable why trolleys are banned from time to time just like the majority of other courses in the area. The manner in which they are protecting the course is truly reflected in the excellant condition especially with the greens and tees.
Rod Wiltshire
Have now played this course on a number of occassios.It just gets better and better. Must be the best new course in the country and will only go from strength to strength.Good variety of holes, shapes of greens and hugh variety of slopes to greens running at a lovely speed.Only wished I lived nearer so I could play on a regular basis.The sort of course which will always divide opinion but previous reviewer must have either visited a different course or been dreaming! This is no push over. They must have something going for them to host a European Ladies Tour event with stars like Laura Davies raving about the quality. Great golf with excellent customer service to add that final touch to a memorable experience.
August 17, 2006

Nick
very surprised to see this course anywhere on this website or that is has held a ladies European tour event. They say its a Nicklaus course, but not by Jack -by one of sons I hear. This may go some way to explaining why the course was about as fun as a Rivita biscuit. Only the 16th hole sticks in the memory as a good golf hole. The front nine was incredibly short and unchallenging (we were not off the very back tees on many of the holes however) and the bunkers were unraked and generally in poor condition. Doesn't even compare to some of the other courses near by like Pennard and Ashburnham. Overall very disappointed!!!!
July 28, 2006

Mike
October 09, 2006
As the top reviewer said, the person who said that this course doesn't even compare with The Ashburnham has either never played it or is dreaming. Everyone I know who has played it says it is a fantastic course and I couldn't agree more. The variety of holes is fantastic with no two holes looking the same. I agree that it is not an extremely long course but this is not the be all and end all of a course. It must be said however that from the back tees on a windy day I would challenge even the top pros to say this is not a challenge. It is a very challenging course however that requires a variety of shots all round the course. The 16th is the signature hole but holes 8 - 11 are a superb run. I also think that the par 3s are a great mix
Andrew Fearn
Similar impression to the previous reviewer,but I think regarding condition we have to make allowances for the course being very new.I expect in a few years time the fairways will have knitted together very nicely.The greens already putt well,and will probably be superb in a year or two.I doubt if Machynys will ever make a Top 50,but will probably make a few Top 100s as it matures.
July 23, 2006

Jake Thomas
This course really had me confused. Holes 1, 2, 3 & 7 are bland, rather featureless holes, and I was very disappointed. Not only that, when I played (April 2006), the fairways and greens were brown (apparently they have had problems with drainage). Also, there was too much gimmicky water for my liking – and it has all the trademarks of an American parkland course, rather than a British links. However, persevere and you will be rewarded, as the course gets better as you go on – particularly the back 9 – with the final 4 holes being a fantastic finish. I started off not liking the course – but by the time I’d finished, it had won me over.On the negative side, there is a lot of walking between holes on gravel paths through wasteland which could be improved but the general condition and finish of the course really ought to be better than it is. Simply by putting more signage on tees and course would create a better impression. However, the greens were in excellent condition and were true, firm and fast.Having said this, I’ll certainly go back and play it again –a special rate of £20 was a bargain for a Monday, and I’m sure that once the fairways and greens are green and not brown in the summer, it will mature into a great course. This is one to watch rise up the rankings – it may not be in the same league as Kingsbarns but it still is an enjoyable, straightforward course (as long as you don’t spray it into the acres of ponds) and worthy of a place on this list and time will hopefully help improve the general condition of the course. Special mention of holes 5, 9, 11, 15 & 18 – with the long uphill par 4 16th the best of the lot.
April 12, 2006

A prime contender for one of the best new courses built this decade. Stunning location and design, especially the back 9. The front 9 are very nice holes – test, design etc but the back 9 are even better – the views of Carmarthen Bay and the Lougher Estuary are stunning and holes 14-18 are special.·The course was only open a week when we played in June but the tees and greens were amongst the best I have ever played. The fairways needed a bit more time to take and grow.·The only negative was the length. It is over 7,000 yards off the back and would be a very hard test for anyone – too hard for most. The next tees are only around 6,200 but when we played, most of these were on the next forward boxes and the course was only around 5,800. So, a negative on the length we played, and I also think there needs to be a new tee length around 6,600 to bridge the 800 yards plus difference between the main 2 tees. ·Great value - £25/ round in week and £35 at weekend.
September 10, 2005