Review for Malone (Drumbridge & Ballydrain)

As a regular visitor to Northern Ireland I am always looking for somewhere new to compliment a round at Ardglass (where I am an external member), which incidentally is why this website is so useful. Anyway based on previous reviews I booked a round at Malone last autumn. First thing that struck me was that the guy in the pro shop confirmed a half price green fee as the front 9 greens were being hollow-tined. Only a small thing but you don’t always get informed of this and it is even rarer that your green fee is halved. As for the course itself I not going to suggest it’s a championship layout (it’s not long enough), however I would say that the condition of the course and the care and attention that it clearly receives (there were greenkeepers everywhere) puts many of the so called ‘top-tracks to shame. The course itself is still good, there are some interesting holes, and to use a football analogy I would suggest that Malone is not Premier League (for inland tracks e.g Woodhall Spa, Walton, St Georges Hill etc) but a solid Championship team (e.g. Forest of Arden, Mannings Heath, Fota Island etc) but again I would emphasise the condition of the course was as good as ANY I have played. Clubhouse is imposing and oozes class and the food was good. Well worth a visit if you’re in the area.

Date: April 10, 2007

Read all reviews about Malone (Drumbridge & Ballydrain)