Review for Mannings Heath (Waterfall)

I played here on one of the few decent September days this year, clear blues sky's and a gentle breeze. If you're not a member (which I'm not) the only way to get on the course is to stay at the cottages on the grounds or nearby South Lodge Hotel, other than that it's members only - who I have to say - must be an extremely fit bunch of golfers! The course has many elevation changes and the first hint of this is the intimidating first hole; you tee off in full view of the club house and bar terrace with quite a narrow shot hemmed in by trees over a valley at least 80 feet deep with a stream running along it.

There was no respite as the second is a tight left dog leg with lots of trees on the left (with another carry over a stream) which was no easier for my playing partner who's stock shot is a fade. This is a tough course physically and there's a good amount of variety between the holes so you'll be thinking your way around all day long.

Other memorable holes are the 5th "Punch-bowl" a gorgeous par 3, as is the 10th "Waterfall" where you can order your halfway house food/drink from the 10th tee, then play the hole and have your food ready when you've finished putting.

You wouldn't be bored as a member here - I thought the course was challenging from first shot, right up until to the last onto the elevated 18th green - great hole to finish on - then I was off to that terrace to watch someone else tee off over the valley whilst enjoying a much needed & well earned drink or two. But I may take a buggy next time!

Date: September 19, 2010

Read all reviews about Mannings Heath (Waterfall)