The club started out as Meadow Brook Hunt Club in 1881, operating out of Westbury, New York, and in those early days it was all about horses and hounds. A 9-hole golf course was brought into play in 1894, located in Hempstead, New York and the club duly became the 37th member of the newly formed USGA.
The original polo ground and golf course were lost to the Meadowbrook State Parkway extension in the mid-1950s, with this highway cutting straight through the club property, so a new site was selected in Jerico for architect Dick Wilson to set out a new 18-hole layout for the club.
Wilson drew up plans for the course in just six weeks and Troup Bothers of Miami started construction in April 1954. Large-scale earth works were carried out and both irrigation and drainage pipes were installed that summer, with grassing done later in the year. The course was officially opened for play on 4th June 1955.
In recent years, Tripp Davis has carried out some restoration work on the course.
Meadow Brook Club is set on an expansive rolling property on Long Island, NY with a decorated history. The greens are truly enormous and this is one of the memorable Dick Wilson features. The trees residing on the property have also grown so big that they have disrupted the original intent of many (7 or 8) doglegs on the course. They have made the doglegs so sharp that the club is about to embark on a 6-month project to close the course and build new tee-boxes which will create much more playable angles into the doglegs. In addition to the trees being trimmed, the newly created angles off the tees will also provide some additional length. While this course is not well known, Wilson did a superb job of laying out challenging holes on a great piece of land. Club selection off the tee is paramount given the movement in the holes.