Review for The Mines

I played The Mines whilst traveling on business in Malaysia & it didn't disappoint. I could remember watching on TV The World Cup of Golf when Tiger & Mark O won at a canter, and some of the hole memories came flooding back (albeit my 2nd shot was from much further back).

From the moment you arrive at the club (unfortunately the entrance looks like its an industrial estate), you are treated like royalty. The range is a little disappointing, as the turf was more rough-like than the manicured fairways you would expect at TPC KL.

My caddy for the day suggested we start on the 12th, thus avoiding the slower groups from nearby countries, which was a stroke of genius, as we managed to fly around the back 9 before running into the slower groups going off the 1st.

Regarding said caddy, they really do earn their money, his green reading was superb, although his clubbing was questionable (I didn't take his advice after the 2nd short wedge). He had caddies for Sergio Garcia earlier in the year, maybe he thought I hit the ball like Sergio (which I very much don't!).

The course is a good Trent Jones Jnr design, good bunkering, fast & firm greens, playing its full length as the grass is brushed back to the tee, and the surrounds are also brushed into the ball making chipping very different to the links turf I'm used to.

Overall I would recommend anyone with a day to kill in KL play this course, maybe its not as famous as the TPC KL, but still offers a challenge from the tee, where length is not as important as accuracy. If you can putt well you should score well around this track, as the greens are the main defence, miss them the wrong side & you will struggle to turn 3 shots into 2.

I would suggest phoning the course & then checking if your Hotel can get a cheaper rate, as the difference can be massive!

Overall, an enjoyable course which offers a good challenge.

Date: November 09, 2017