Formed in 1932 by an English expatriate by the name of Frank Gordon, Miramar Golf Club is recognised as the third oldest club in Portugal. Along with Oporto, Lisbon Sports Club and Estoril, the club founded the Portuguese Golf Federation in 1949 so its historical importance should not be underestimated.
Laid out on coastal land between Espinho and Porto, the 9-hole course at Miramar was designed by Philip Mackenzie Ross shortly after the club was established. Apart from some upgrading work carried out by Howard Swan’s design company in recent years, the layout today is much the same as when it was first set out over 75 years ago.
With only one par five at the 8th hole, the course measures just over three thousand yards in length with its six par fours varying from 292 yards at the 7th to 399 yards at the 3rd.Both short holes on the course are played with the prevailing wind at your back so marking a three on the card should be achievable for most golfers, even at the semi-blind 5th, which is played to a punch bowl green.
This is a delightful little links course. It is very a very traditional members' club with a challenging course in a tight piece of land alongside the beautiful beach. A short but good opening par four is followed by a 200 yard plus par three and an exceptional 3rd hole. It is a slight dog-leg right played to a green near the sea. The 5th is a beautiful par three played to a green in front of the clubhouse. Take care on the 7th as the green is a table top and it is very easy to put off both sides. The 8th hole is a fine par five played along the shore with a ditch to carry near the green. The course finishes with a strong par four. Well worth playing here.