Mission Hills Country Club was formed in 1917 and Tom Bendelow is credited with the original design of the golf course. Keith Foster carried out a major renovation in 2007, focusing on improved greensites to defend par on the layout.
Interestingly, several acres in the northeast corner of the club’s property used to lie across the state line in Missouri and that’s where the original clubhouse was located, due to more favorable liquor laws operating there. The club then sold this land in the 1950s, relocating its clubhouse (and re-sequencing the holes) on the Kansas side.
Today, the course occupies a compact 117-acre site, where every possible inch has been used to route the fairways around the meandering waters of Brush Creek, which comes into play on several holes. Measuring 6,490 yards from the tips, Mission Hills plays to a par of 70, with only two par fives (at #8 and #18) on the score card.