Formed in 1908, the course at Monkstown Golf Club overlooks the River Lee and Cork’s busy harbour. It was extended to a full 18-hole layout in 1971 and a new clubhouse built to replace the dilapidated old 17th century castle that had previously housed the club members.
A main road intersects the course, with holes 2 to 9 played on one side of the highway from the others. Several water features were created on the back nine when it was created and they offer a contrasting challenge to the earlier holes in the round.
The course measures 6,206 yards from the back tees with a par of 70 – there are only two par five holes on the scorecard – and, unusually, the round begins with a par three hole. The short, 253-yard 4th is a very interesting par four on the outward half whilst the par three 16th is a testing hole on the way home, played across water to a two-tiered green.