Review for Monmouth

Monmouth golf club is far from being a traditional parkland course. It is not long, the greens are small and usually surrounded by plateaus and mounds, there are plenty of blind shots, the majority of bunkers are not really in play, you almost never have a flat lie on any fairway and at times the condition of the tees and greens can be disappointing. However, on the plus side the course is very tricky and requires imagination and thought for each shot, whether by rolling an approach shot in off a bank or dropping down to an iron from the tee (I think I only used my driver 7 times). It is also one of the few courses I have played where each hole is genuinely different from the rest. Pick of the holes for me are the tight par 4 4th - hitting a long iron from the tee through a corridor of trees, the par 4 14th (the Lagoon) with elevated tee shot and water hazard infront of the green, and the short par 5 17th, reachable in 2, but only if you hit the right side of the fairway from the tee.Great views, great layout, great value = great day out.

Date: April 14, 2008