Review for Montgomerie Links

Just 5 minutes away from the beautiful fishing village of Hoi An is the opulent ‘Monty links’Greeted by a literal ‘army’ of friendly female caddies we made our way to the pro shop & picked up our shoes & Titlist hire clubs.Make no mistake this is a 5 star course & the western price green fees reflect that. Seems even more expensive in the stark contrast of the cheap local Vietnamese prices... but if you’re after a round of golf out here then you might not mind indulging yourself.The course itself has lots of tee options for whatever standard you feel you can play to that day after your late night out in the bars of Hoi An.My Caddie Kai politely informed me that championship tees have been re-named as the ‘Monty tees’ in homage to the courses well known designer. After removing from that information I teed off & set off with my friends down the fairway for a slow but ultimately very enjoyable round. The course is tough by any measure you want to use. Some fantastic looking holes & when the mountains revealed themselves through the clearing mist of the morning we all had a collective feeling of contentment. A fantastic place to be. The toughest aspect of this course has to be the undulating & firm greens. Single figure handicappers going into greens with wedges still finding that the ball takes 3-4 extra yards to check-up. A real challenge & plenty of fun. Monty has done a fine job here.The club house, changing facility & bar are all top notch too for a post-game drink. Well worth a visit if you’re a golf fan passing along this route.

Date: November 13, 2013