Montgomerie Maxx Royal - Turkey

Ileribasi Mevkii,
BelekTurizm Merkezi,
TR-07500 Antalya,
Turkey

• Cahit Sahin (Director of Golf)

• European Golf Design with Colin Montgomerie

• Ryan Parfitt (Head Pro)

Following on from the PGA Sultan and Pasha courses at Antalya Golf Club, the Montgomerie Maxx Royal (formerly known as the Papillon Golf Club) is the third European Golf Design project in the Belek area with Colin Montgomerie marketed as the course’s attention-grabbing headline designer.

Monty's 18-hole layout is part of a multi-million euro golf and hotel development that includes a world-class golf academy and a 5-star hotel.

The course opened for play in 2008, quickly establishing itself as one of the best in an area that’s not short of quality new golfing facilities. Many of the fairways play through mature pine forest and with eight lakes on site there are several water hazards to be avoided during a round.

A word from Monty who, at the course opening, spoke of his creation as one of the top tracks to play on the Mediterranean coast: “During my many visits over the last two and half years I have been most impressed with the hard work put in to enhance what is a relatively young resort, and help turn the Belek region into a must-visit golfing destination.”

In November 2013, the Montgomerie Maxx Royal hosted Turkey’s inaugural European Tour event – the Turkish Airlines Open by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism. Frenchman Victor Dubuisson hung on to win the 2013 event, securing his maiden European Tour title by two shots from Jamie Donaldson with Justin Rose and Tiger Woods finishing two strokes further behind. Montgomerie Maxx Royal has since staged three other Turkish Opens, most recently in 2019.

Gary Johnston – Designer from European Golf Design writes:

Along with Colin Montgomerie, EGD was introduced to the project in 2006 by the Papillon Hotel Group who were looking to create their first golf resort. The site, which had previously been used by the Turkish Government’s Forestry Department as a commercial forest, had been earmarked for golf as part of a tourism initiative for the area. Although densely covered by pine trees it was clear that sandy, rolling landscape below the tree canopy was ideal for golf.

Right from the start the environmental impact and sustainability of the development was a major consideration and resulted in a design philosophy which combined the natural features of the site with the strategy of the golf course. The result was a golf course which utilised the natural sandy areas as hazards which come into play on more than half the golf holes and also provide a buffer between the maintained areas and the native vegetation. Since the completion of the golf course the club has followed up with this environmental commitment and has recently become a registered participant of the Golf Environment Organisation (GEO) certification programme.

Reviews for Montgomerie Maxx Royal

Description: The Montgomerie Maxx Royal (formerly known as the Papillon Golf Club) is the third EGD project in the Belek area with Colin Montgomerie marketed as the course’s attention-grabbing headline designer. Rating: 7 out of 10 Reviews: 12
scott
I'm quite suprised with the comments and the '0ne' ranking but in some ways can see the reviewers point of view. The course is difficult for average to high handicap golfers and some of the trees in the fairway can leave players scratching their heads a bit? This, I feel is overshadowed by the best greens I have ever putted on, a nice mix of holes and a unique course compared to some of the others nearby. If I was going to Belek I would play it along with Lykia and Carya if you were wanting contrasting courses along with the resident course you are staying at. The clubhouse and staff also offer a nice off course experience too and I would like to replay it. Better than most offerings in Portugal and Spain.
September 08, 2010

Steve Rossall
Having been to Turkey a few times this is top of my list of courses NOT to play again. It seemed designed for the professionals and low handicappers with little thought for everyone else. Take the par 5 18th. If you hit a long drive you are left with no real second shot. My options were a little chip to lay up short of the ditch, a pitch over the ditch leaving about 180yds to the green or go for the green from about 240 yards. It’s all carry over bunkers on a sloping fairway so if you aim right of the sand the ball still falls towards it. And the waste bunkers are just vast areas of sand. There was not one person in our group who wanted to play the course again. A total disappointment.
September 02, 2010

Andy
September 05, 2010
Although this course is probably not in my top 5 in the Belek area, a 1-ball rating is not really fair. The course has been built on the same land as the region’s No. 1; The Cornelia and in places has a similar feel. Golf in Belek has improved year on year and Monty’s course at Papillon has added to the success – as well as the 18 hole course, there is a 9 hole academy course plus quality accommodation – A golfing holiday to Belek is always a nice trip, the courses that I would recommend would be Cornelia, Gloria Old and Gloria New (these can be very busy though), Pasha, Sultan and probably Papillon. This is certainly not a 1-ball course, for me I could understand golfers giving it between a 3 and a 5-ball score, depending on how many other courses they have to compare it with.
Stephen Rossall
May 17, 2011
From my experience I stand by my rating. When I played the course it was in very poor condition and nowhere near the standard of the good courses in the area. The fairways were patchy and the greens uneven paced and very bumpy. I have a handicap of 11 so, whilst I would not call myself an expert, I believe I know something about the game. I think this course is poorly designed as it does not offer the average golfer an option. Difficult is ok. Unfair is not. And this is not sour grapes as I played below my handicap. I just did not enjoy it and have no wish to return.