Moor Allerton (Blackmoor & High) - Yorkshire - England

• Gill Pretty

• Robert Trent Jones Senior

• James Whitaker

Visit Golfbreaks.com for a golf holiday at Moor Allerton

Moor Allerton Golf Club was originally founded in 1923 and the original 18 holes were laid out by Alister MacKenzie close to Moortown. Later, the club moved a few miles away to the present site because it was "bursting at the seams". None other than the famous Robert Trent Jones Snr. designed the new course – his only ensemble in the UK – and it opened for play in 1971.

Jones laid out 27 holes on 220 acres of undulating Yorkshire countryside, in three distinct loops of nine holes. It's just as well that each nine starts and ends at the welcoming "Waterhole" halfway house, because Moor Allerton is a big course. You'd be wise to replenish your energy levels to cope with Jones's design philosophy, where a par is tough and a bogey is the norm.

Clearly Moor Allerton contrasts with its near neighbours, Alwoodley and Moortown. The Moor Allerton style is modern and American – big contoured greens, large teeing areas, long boldly-shaped bunkers and, of course, water hazards. Having said this, the layout blends beautifully into the delightful landscape to combine the best of Yorkshire and America.

The threatening par five 14th epitomises Trent Jones's design ethos – woodland to the right and water to the left. The 18th is also noteworthy, a tough par which calls for an accurate approach shot over a watery gully to an elevated green, guarded jealously by bunkers.

Many famous pros have walked these fairways when the PGA European Tour came here in 1982 for the inaugural Car Care Plan International – including Seve Ballesteros and Nick Faldo – when England's Brian Waites won the event by one shot. Howard Clark was the playing professional for several years and Peter Alliss was also the resident pro for a period of time. Alliss reckons that "Moor Allerton is a golfing experience larger than life", and who could possibly disagree?

Moor Allerton is friendly and relaxed off the course but as tough as nails on course. The 27-hole combination is configured into three loops as follows: Lakes (1-9), Blackmoor (10-18) and High (19-27). The championship course, which is considered to be the toughest 18-hole combination, comprises of the Blackmoor and High circuits.

Reviews for Moor Allerton (Blackmoor & High)

Description: The course at Moor Allerton Golf Club is the only layout in the UK that Robert Trent Jones Senior designed and it features shallow bunkers, huge teeing grounds, lakes and large contoured greens. Rating: 4.3 out of 6 Reviews: 19

Not a course you fall in love with as previous reviewers have mentioned, but 3 loops of 9 holes provide good variety and a decent test. It is a bit bland in some places and lacks a bit of character- it is rather American in appearance and comes across as a bit of a 'commercial' course at times. However the conditioning at this time of year is very good- the greens running fast and the rest of the course in very good condition. The front nine doesn't compare to the middle and top nines and the middle nine is certainly better and tougher than the top nine. The par 3 13th on the middle nine is a serious challenge! Wouldn't place the course in the same bracket as Alwoodley, Moortown, Sand Moor, Ilkley etc. But its an enjoyable day out all the same!
May 13, 2015

Moor Allerton has some very good features - 3 distinct loops of 9 nine that all feel quite different being one of the them. The condition of the course in summer is also worth mentioning. The greens are very fast, true and in many cases - undulating, making Moor Allerton a serious test of your short game. Downsides? It's not a course you really 'fall in love with' because there aren't many great holes. On the positive side, there aren't many poor ones and - played from the tips - it is a challenge worthy of very, very good players. So overall? Good - but not in the same league as nearby Alwoodley.
January 11, 2014

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Played here today in the pouring rain. All though the weather made the course almost unplayable I have to say I really enjoyed it and was really impressed. Very much an american style course the greens were lightning fast and layed out in the yorkshire countryside there were plenty of hills to make a fantastic layout. Not as good as nearby heathland courses Moortown and Alwoodley but very impressive. Favourite holes were 14th,17th,27th
August 29, 2012

Surely people cannot begin to rank moor allerton on the same level as such classy courses as alwoodley and moortown, Played recently with friends as I do fairly regularly, and majority of greens were hard and slow, and collapsed underneath. Some good holes- the 18th and 27th were pretty good, but the rest i felt were fairly average. Fairway condition was good, but in my opinion MA cannot compete with the likes of alwoodley, moortown, sandmoor and Pannal etc!
August 16, 2012

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
From the moment I left my car and saw those magnificent striped fairways to the time I sank my last putt, this has without doubt been the best golfing experience in Leeds I have ever had! Having recently played the remodelled Moortown GC and having played Alwoodley GC several times, I had heard that great strides had been made by Moor Allerton GC. I can tell you the rumours are true, although their ranking in comparison to their historic neighbours doesn’t acknowledge it, this is by far the best of the big three in North Leeds. I noted that all tees had been hand cut; the fairways are as lush and manicured as anything you will see on Sky and those greens…well! Although I live in Nottingham, I am truly considering a country membership as I have not putted on anything so undulating and with so much speed but just as importantly, a true roll. I found the pro shop staff not only to be refreshingly jovial but so attentive to my group’s questions, so much so that the pro came out after our first nine to enquire how we were getting on and with a few bottles of water FOC! The stock carried is not only top end but the prices are truly affordable. We all spent far too much, but when its clothing you cant get anywhere else..why not! We had a look at the performance centre and again, the pro let us have a FOC go on the trackman…I NEED MORE LESSONS! The drainage has obviously worked as the fairways were as dry as a bone as were the tees. I would highly recommend anyone who loves their golf to go to Moor Allerton, the place oozes class!
May 11, 2012

0 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
Hugh
May 11, 2012
Surely this review was written by the club's marketing manager? Moor Allerton will never compare favourably to Alwoodley which is quite simply in a much higher league than Moor Allerton.
Ben
May 18, 2012
I agree, this has without a doubt been written by a member/ associate of the club. I played Moor Allerton GC in June 2011 and the greens were extremely soft and full of thatch... My personal opinion is that Moortown GC and Alwoodley GC playing surfaces and course design are far better than those at Moor Allerton GC or any other club in the Leeds area. I would certainly recommend playing Alwoodley or Moortown for a higher class golfing experience. There is a reason that the other clubs in North Leeds rank higher than Moor Allerton...
Kealey
July 16, 2012
I totally agree, all 9 holes are fantastic!! We are considering becoming members. The whole place has a lovley buzz about it and the course is tough, the tees are imaculate, the greens true and fast. Top marks to the green staff. I played there yesterday and considering the dreadful weather we have had it was in amazing condition. Definately worth a trip...and I aren't from the Marketing department!!
Marty
July 18, 2012
Let's get this right. Moor Allerton is ok, a pleasant days golf but can not be compared to Alwoodley or Moortown. Even throwing money at it which it sounds they have it will never get close to its neighbours. Having played many times a 4 ball review would be about right, not sure it ever WOWS me enough to stretch to a 5 ball rating but worth a day out all the same.
vorndron
July 20, 2012
Cant agree with the the review above I'm afraid. MA is a notch below Moortown and not in the same league as Alwoodley !!
Nick Tomlinson
July 28, 2012
I don't usually get involved with writing reviews or even writing a response to a review but on this occasion I feel it is appropriate and necessary. I have played about 200 golf courses all over the country including Moor Allerton, Moortown and Alwoodley. I just don't see it and do not know how Moor Allerton can be regarded even in the same breath as the other 2 especially Alwoodley which is one of the best courses I have ever played. I have to admit the club house and welcome at Moor Allerton is fantastic but the course didn't do it for me!
I am looking to joinn a golf course in the Leeds area. Having looked at Horsofrth, Cookridge, Sand Moor, Scarcroft and Moor Allerton I am still trying to make my mind up.I found Moor Allerton a very nice course and its in great condition, but I've read through a few reviews some more recent than others and woondered if anyone could answer this question. Has Moor Allerton had any improvements in drainage over the last year or two? Several older reviews seem to say this was a problem with the course. Any inforamtion would be appreciated.
June 23, 2010

Steve
June 24, 2010
I would look at Alwoodley or Moortown. Much better all year round playability.
shab
June 24, 2010
Drainage improving. Still a mudbath at times in winter tho. Sand Moor -fairway mats in winter. Scarcroft- great nick but short and a bit sedate. Other clubs you mentioned would definately not bother. All in all MA prob for you as v.welcoming to new members too.
Andy
June 24, 2010
Alwoodley and Moortown are the best courses in Leeds but I believe both are difficult to get into and have hefty joining fees. You could try out Oulton Hall, the De Vere course just south of Leeds. It's far better than Horsforth or Cookridge and holds up very well in the winter. It also has no joining fee and the option to pay by direct debit.
Leggy
June 25, 2010
Steve, I've been a member at Moor Allerton for 6 years now. The drainage has improved a lot, the investment made about 3 years ago has bedded in well and the course is in far better condition as a result. The greens are incredible, and the fairways are filling out nicely. I wouldn't be a member at either Alwoodley or Moortown as the Atmosphere at Moor Allerton is far more friendly, and there is very rarely a wait to get on the course.
andrew
August 05, 2010
Its all too easy to say look at Alwoodley and Moortown for better all round playability, memberships at both are rare, if in the unlikely event you are offered membership you then have to find a way to pay for it! Comparisons should also not be drawn between MAGC and Alwoodly and Moortown. They are very different golf courses and pose a completley different challenge, MAGC has a stadium atmosphere about it and in-keeping with other Trent Jones designs i have played mounding is extensive around the green area, particularly on the 9th, 18th and 27th. Club selection is very difficult to judge on many of the holes as there many changes in elevation, which only adds to the challenge and enjoyment. There are some wonderful golf holes here, and very few poor ones. The welcome is friendly 7 days a week and facilities are excellent if a little tired. would recommend to anyone who likes and understands golf courses.
Steve
August 06, 2010
Andrew, it may well cost a bit to get into Alwoodley or Moortown initially but once in both have a cheaper annual subscription than MAGC.
CA
August 13, 2010
You should add Headingley to your list. It is actually in Adel (no more than a couple of miles from Sand Moor GC)
GMartin
August 13, 2010
MA is clearly best club to join in Yorkshire. No need to book tee times with 27 holes, in great nick and is definitely improving in the Winter. Best greens for miles and a pretty friendly bunch to boot. I love it. Graham member 13 years
Keith Baxter
August 14, 2010
I'm drawing a line under this review as I'm sure the reviewer now has enough feedback to make a decision as to which club to join. Thanks to everyone for their comments. Keith Baxter - Editor
I joined Moor Allerton Golf Club about 6 months ago and I'm very glad I did. The layout is great and is such that good shots are rewarded and poor shots are penalised, in my view how a golf course should be. I have seen that some posts say the greens and fairways are great whilst others say they are poor. In my experience so far (played 3 times a week for 6 months) the greens are fantastic and the green staff are fabulous at preparing them. In the summer months the greens are the best in the area. In winter they are allowed to grow to their winter length, this protects the greens and keeps them in top condition for the summer. This does make them slower in winter however they do still run true. The fairways are much the same, they are spiked in the winter to protect and prepare them for the summer. I personally would prefer the slight winter inconveniences for the quality that you get in summer. All in all I think the course is great and offers a good golfer a great challenge. I have heard a few members say that it is a hilly and demanding course with many of the older players preferring the ‘less hilly’ top 9 holes. I’m happy playing any and would highly recommend anyone to play the course. The best hole on the course is the par 3 17th. A tee shot over water to a raised green guarded by bunkers is a winning combination. If you’re lucky to play on a sunny morning then you will get the golden sun lighting the green from the tee, one of those “this is golf at its best” moments. I would also say that the club is extremely friendly. On my first round at the club (as a non member to try the course) after the second hole I caught up with a two ball in front of me. Instead of holding me up they waved me through (no member snobbery!). Better than this though they said hello, asked if I was enjoying the course and asked if I would like to join them for the rest of the holes! I couldn’t believe this and I knew then that this was the club for me. If you are in the Yorkshire area I would highly recommend this course.
January 02, 2010

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Really enjoyed playing Moor Allerton recently, located in the thick of what must be one of the best concentrations of quality courses in Britain.An excellent 27 holes to play, with a nice variety of elevation, strategy and flowers to keep you interested.Quite hard, with several holes much longer than they appear and tricky downhill shots over streams to raised greens.Recommended.
July 10, 2009

Am a new member at Moor Allerton and felt compelled to write something about the club as i am so happy with my choice of golf club. First and formost, and the ultimate reason for me choosing MA is the course. Yes it's not a traditional Yorkshire Heathland course like Alwoodley, but it depends what you enjoy. My first memories of golf were watching the Masters at Augusta, and i enjoy the grand American feel at MA, The use of flowers and shrubbery is excuisite. The backdrop of firing your tee shot to an elevated green, guarded by a still lake, with a backdrop of flowers of all colours is a joy (alla hole 17.) The greens are simply the best in the area and would probably rival any club in the country. You don't even get a pitch mark, and there's plenty of spin to be had. When the sun shines on the rolling fareways, the whole cause has a certain sheen to it that lifts your spirits. So far the staff and members have been extremely friendly and welcoming. I look forward to playing every day next week, during my hard earned week off.
May 10, 2009

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
Pay for a buggy at this course. Very very hilly and as the website says it really is "golf on a grand scale". The clubhouse design and furnishing makes you want to dig out the flared trousers and acryllic ties. You half expect Jerry from The Good Life to wander round the corner drinking a Campari. It is almost 70s kitsch although the Waterhole spike bar makes an excellent and practical place to grab a snack or drink. Course wise, it isnt one of the classics. The tees and greens are excellent but much of it has an open feel that you dont get at Alwoodley or Moortown. The fairway grass isnt the best and when I played in winter drainage wasnt great. Some excellent holes (eg the 17th) and a few forgettable ones. Its probably a great place to have a company day but at £85 on a weekend I wouldnt make it my first choice.
December 03, 2008