Review for Muirfield

Our first greetings at Muirfield made me worry a little for what was ahead. A rather officious gentleman asked who the party leader was and I was marched off to register the group. From them on in the experience was a delight. The lady checking us in was very helpful and the changing rooms were a thing of real history! A few putts and then off to the first tee. They do a really nice job on the course of mixing up the tees and pins for members so while you will not pay the full length of the course, equally you will not play everything off a forward tee. The course was in fantastic condition and the holes really interesting and full of features - it was a lot more memorable than I had expected. We had a fantastic lunch (jackets and ties are needed but worth it!) before heading out for a round of foursomes in the afternoon (£40 if you have played in the morning). It's a form of the game I very rarely play and was really good fun. We got around in no time and it was great to have the chance to play twice on the same day. OK, the ladies policy could do with some refreshing but we were made tremendously welcome and it really was a great experience. As a footnote, a couple of years ago a group of us were staying in the area for New Year and we went for a walk down to the gates to have a look (ladies, children, prams all in tow). A very nice man opened the gates and let us in to have a little look from the patio area. Totally unexpected and welcome. Is it the best course in Scotland. Techinically it must be up there and as an experience I think it probably is for me.

Date: September 15, 2009