Review for Nairn (Championship)

The 3rd leg of our annual 3-day golf tour in June (with Dornoch and Fortrose & Rosemarkie). I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as Dornoch and it wasn’t but not far off. They have a lovely museum in thee clubhouse which is well worth a visit before or after your round. First off it was in great nick (that surprised us a Dormoch member warned us about poor greens here - sour grapes maybe due to a recent lost club match?). The area around the first tee was immaculate and the whole club has a feeling of effortless class (unlike that dreadful Castle Stuart down the road). The first few holes run along the shore with the short fourth turning back to the sea. That little stretch is utterly magical with the Scottish pines adding to the scene. Mid-way through the back nine the course has a few holes with a parkland feel. I enjoyed these and the short (13th?) reminded me of the lovely 7th at Hillside. Overall a wonderful place to play golf . This together with Dornoch, Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen really does make you wonder why on earth anyone would play Castle Stuart or Trump. Personally, I’d never play those carbunkles and they (like Loch Lomond) should be remove from the rankings.

Date: July 12, 2013

Read all reviews about Nairn (Championship)