Review for Nairn (Championship)

I’ve followed The Nairns’s fortunes in the rankings very closely in recent years and was rather sad to see it drop out of the GB&I Top 50 last year, though it still retains its place within the Scottish Top 20. I called in last week to see Fraser Cromarty, the club’s CEO, before heading out onto the links as I’d heard there were plans in place for Tom Mackenzie to start renovating the course very soon.

Fraser showed me the proposals, featuring a couple of new greens and an alteration to the fairway bunker style, and I understand work starts very soon on an exciting 2-year project that should go a long way to restoring the course to its rightful place amongst the elite golfing venues in the British Isles. There’s no dire need for an upgrade, far from it, but such a move will rejuvenate the course for years to come.

A couple of things grabbed my attention at the club this time.

The first was the great wee halfway house that’s been established inside the old Bothy, next to the Icehouse, between the 9th green and 10th tee, and it’s a great addition to the club’s amenities. My only concern was the low level of light inside the old building but maybe they’re trying to generate some authentic 19th century atmosphere in there!

The second was the Archive Room in the clubhouse which Gordon, the starter, very kindly showed me round. It’s a room where you could easily spend an hour browsing the artefacts on display so my advice is to ask at the pro shop before playing to see if it might be possible to have a look around after your game’s finished because it’s well worth a visit.

Date: August 21, 2018

Read all reviews about Nairn (Championship)