Founded in 1920, Nanaimo Golf Club moved to its current location close to Departure Bay in 1962. Unusually, the original course was a 15-hole layout, with three holes played twice to complete an 18-hole round. Designed by A.V. Macan, the course was one of the architect’s last projects before he passed away in 1964.
Today, this compact 115-acre layout extends to 6,667 yards from the back tees, with par set at 72. Holes are arranged as two returning nines, each of which plays to a par of 36. Water only ever comes into play sparingly: to the right of the green on the par four 9th then at three holes on the back nine at the 13th, 15th and 18th.
Highlight holes include the 431-yard par four 6th, where a lone bunker guards the front left of the green, and the 413-yard 18th, with out of bounds running the length of the fairway on the left and a large pond lurking to the right of the home green.
The club engaged Graham Cooke to develop a master plan for the course in the late 1990s.