Review for National (Gunnamatta)

I played the Gunnamatta Course today and had to write a review. Having been uncomplimentary about Tom Doak's St. Andrews Beach course which I think he would modify at this stage in his career compared to what he created when he designed it, I wanted to say how much fun it was to play the Gunnamatta.

Nowhere near as difficult as St. Andrews Beach but of course difficulty generally does not make for enjoyment. Gunnamatta is not heavily bunkered which is a big plus given the massive over bunkering of many modern golf courses. Big wide fairways in beautiful condition. Challenging greens that I came nowhere near figuring out but that's ok. A number of significant elevation changes that you had to adjust to and plenty of short interesting par 4s.

The long Par 3 early in the back nine was difficult but not impossible. I'm still puzzling about what club I should have hit and how I should have played it. My par putt almost but didn't quite fall.

I'd go back any day to play the Gunnamatta and you should to.

I nearly went 5 balls but couldn't quite bring myself to say it is the best in the region. The Moonah area is simply the best golfing land in the world and already has seven top class golf courses with plenty of room for more.

(Yes I put St Andrews Beach in there - at no. 7).

Date: January 04, 2021

Read all reviews about National (Gunnamatta)