Review for National (Old)

By far the best of the three courses, this one offers the most to all golfers. Unlike Moonah with its brute force requirements this course both beguiles and deceives. Not a long course, which is just as well, as it is tight and liberally bunkered. The greens are very large and have whole herds of elephants buried in them; the wrong side of the whole can be a good three putt. Two par threes I played I was on for one and walked off with five, simply because I was in the wrong place on the green. I haven't seen greens that tricky since Royal Melbourne, and what seemed like good shots would often end up 40 or 50 feet away. The course is very hilly as well, so if you don't like too much exercise, recommend you use a golf cart. However, the real joy of this place is the sheer beauty, with views to die for, especially at the short 7th. Trent Jones has ensured he has made use of the beauty of the tee tree covered dunes by winding his way up hill and down dale. This can cause confusion as to the correct line to take off tees, so if you are not playing with a member buy the yardage book. The 3rd completely bamboozled me even though I could see the entire hole, it doglegs to the left and you just have no idea without yardage as to how far everything is. I also enjoyed the tenth, a par five where I deliberately drove right to avoid the fairway bunkers, and found that even though I was on the fairway, all I could was hit a 7 iron as I was completely blocked out by trees to go for the green. A better play would have been hybrid short of bunkers and then wood to green. And there are quite a few challenges like that to be had. Love this course, will be back lots of times.

Date: November 02, 2015

Read all reviews about National (Old)