Review for Nefyn & District (Old)

Ah Nefyn, a course that will split opinion like no other. I played the Old course on a breezy June day, which I guess is quite normal on this remote finger of Wales. Having played Conwy and Harlech earlier in the trip, I left my putts perpetually short on Nefyn’s fluffy greens. On the whole, Nefyn’s greens were dull, far from fast and nowhere near the quality of the aforementioned courses in terms of contouring. Nefyn is not a links course and it’s easy to come here thinking the bump and run shot will work, but it won’t serve you well here.

If you’ve read this far, you’ll get a feeling that I don’t like the course. You are right, I don’t like it, but I absolutely adore the setting. Only Old Head can compete with Nefyn in terms of location and that is saying something. The difference between Old Head and Nefyn is that Old Head has more land and it plays more like a links. However, the 12th at Old Head is one of my favourite golf holes and I was amazed to find that Nefyn has a shorter but visually similar equivalent.

Nefyn’s 13th is a memorable par four which was unfortunately preceded by a truly crazy 12th that needed only a windmill to properly finish it off. Thankfully the tee position on 12 was well forward but this is the most impossibly quirky hole I’ve ever played. Apart from 12 (which is certainly not dull), there are too many bland holes in my opinion, 7, 8, 9, 10, 15 (exciting tee but a uninspiring hole) and then 18 – with the tee two yards away from the near derelict green keeper’s building – is one of the least inspiring closing holes I have ever played.

Having said all of this, there are many good holes that I haven’t mentioned and the acid test is whether or not I’d recommend Nefyn? The short answer is yes; every golfer needs to experience Nefyn at least once. This is a course like no other. It offers so much promise but it doesn’t quite deliver. It could be so much better. No wonder the members play the New course in competitions.

Date: June 08, 2011

Read all reviews about Nefyn & District (Old)