Nefyn & District (Old) - North Wales - Wales

LL53 6DA,
Wales

• +44 (0) 1758 720966

Nefyn Beach - picture courtesy of Julle

Nefyn is dramatically located on the cliff tops at the foot of the Porthdinllaen headland, a tiny promontory that juts out from the Lleyn Peninsula into the Irish Sea. In terms of sheer topographical exhilaration, Nefyn is Wales’ equivalent of Ireland’s Old Head of Kinsale. This is literally golf on the edge of the world.

Nefyn and District Golf Club was founded in 1907, originally as a nine-hole course and in 1912, it was extended to 18 holes. One of the great triumvirate, J.H.Taylor, was commissioned in 1933 to add a further nine and to revise the existing course. F.W. Hawtree and his his partner A.H.F. Jiggens, known as “Jigg,” built three new holes in the 1980s.

Until recently, the layout at Nefyn was extremely unusual with 26 holes in play. The course comprised of 10 outward holes and two separate inward 8 holes, these two 18-hole courses were named the Old and the New. This rather strange configuration made life somewhat confusing for the first time visitor. However, Swan Golf Designs has rung the changes after a lengthy five-year advisory period whereby numerous improvements have been made, the most significant of which was the creation of new holes on the dramatic “Point”.

Today there are three distinct 9-hole loops at Nefyn, named Front (holes 1-9), Old (holes 10-18) and New (19-27). The Old course combines the Front and Old nines to create the club’s premier configuration. Most visitors will elect to play the Old course because it’s the Point’s spectacular cliff edge holes that are at times quirky but frequently jaw-dropping which simply have to experienced.

There are only a few seaside courses where you can see the sea from every hole, but you sure can at Nefyn. Not only is the sea in view, but also on a clear day, you can spot peaks of the Wicklow Mountains across the Irish Sea. The opening hole takes you away from the clubhouse to a series of cliff-top holes on the edge of the headland. There are blind drives, strategically placed bunkers, thick rough and, of course, the ever-present wind to contend with.

The Old course back nine plays along the Point peninsular, providing spectacular views across the cliffs and the bay. After the par four 15th, you’ll find a footpath down to the Ty Coch Inn, located on the beach at Porthdinllaen. A quick drink here on the pub’s famous wall, with the soothing sound of the sea and the glorious view across the bay to Mt. Snowdon, will set you up nicely for the closing three holes.

Reviews for Nefyn & District (Old)

Description: The Old course at Nefyn & District Golf Club is literally golf on the edge of the world and it makes the adrenaline pump... Rating: 7 out of 10 Reviews: 43
Johnners
Played it twice now & loved it both times, the 12th is a bit daft but otherwise I think its a must visit. The staff & pro were very laid back & helpful too.
May 31, 2009

steve
This golf course is mental, i was blown away with it's beauty. the last 8 holes offer shots that i have never encountered before. Dont play it on a bank holiday though because there are hundreds of people walking along the public footpath making the game somewhat dangerous. I had seen many pictures of the 3 holes out on the pininsula, but not until i'd played them could i realy apreciate them. well worth the 3 hour journey. i cant help but think that a good golf archietect could turn this course into something absolutely amazing.
April 26, 2009

Paul Keen
Having played the course 2 years ago on an exceptionally windy but sunny day in June from reading the some what mixed comments below I felt compelled to write my own review, although 2 years late. There is only 1 way to describe this experience "breathtaking". yes if this was a new course it would not be allowed to open, but isnt that why we love the game so much, its old fashioned traditions, querkyness and the challenge.It was about 40 mile wind when I played, which was the 2nd time I had played the course, I had the round of my life, shooting 2 over off 8. This is not the main reason I enjoy Nefyn so much. The views, tight fairways on the back 8. Also the greens were typical links greens mainly true and pretty quick. Its all about position off the tee. You can be nicely on the fairway or 5 yards to your right watch your ball fall to the bottom of the cliff!!Yes the tees are 'fairly' close to greens but we didnt feel in danger at any time. The course was busy and even in testing conditions only took 4 hours to get round. The members are very friendly and very proud of their club, and rightly so. Almost as proud as I was about my round that day!! I cannot wait to visit again to try to beat my score. but you know what? If I fail my next day at Nefyn will still be equally enjoyable!
March 23, 2009

Andrew Parry
Don't know why this course is in the top 100.Yes the 'peninsula' holes are spectacular but the rest is an okay cliff top layout. Played it out of season so not many non golfers about but the 'picadilly circus' around the 1st green, 9th green etc lets it down. How we didn't hit anyone is a miracle. Can't knock the views but it is a strange mix that didn't appeal to me.
December 30, 2008

james wallace
For the past three years I have organised a four day golfing trip to North Wales. For the first time we included Nefyn and sadly it will be the last. Having seen the course whilst walking, in pictures and from talking to people who have played it I was looking forward to the visit. Yes the views are amazing, yes you can see the sea from every tee and green. However on our visit the greens had been spiked and every Tee had been soiled and seeded!! All this and they still charged full summer prices. I have even sent an email to the secretary to ask why, two weeks and still no response!! To find the course in this condition was a great disappointment, how this is 5 places above Conwy is beyond me. The first 10 holes are pretty straight forward, play the old 8 and you realise why they built the new 8. 5 ½ hour rounds must be easy in the summer on the Old 8. Not to mention checking your golfing insurance is fully comp, because if it’s not you getting hit it will be either another golfer or a member of public. The 12th can be either a par 4 or par 5, on the day we played they decided not to bother telling us, so we had to guess. However 13th, 14th and 15th nearly make up for the dreadful 11th, 12th, 17th and 18th. I suggest leaving your clubs in the bag, save £60 and go for a walk round the old 8 and enjoy a pint in the Ty Coch Inn!
October 15, 2008

Ben
Tough one this, the scenery is amazing, that is a given. We played 28 holes here at the beginning of October on summer prices and the greens were poor and the tee boxes shocking. Okay they were doing some work on the course at the time but why charge full price? We played Aberdovey, Royal St Davids and Porthmadog as well that week, they charged summer prices but the courses were immaculate. The conditions were brutal, and the wind was howling but I really enjoyed the challenge even though I got 12 points on the front 10! We then played the old 8 and what a test that is, I had a word with my self and got 15 points through that 8. We played 12 as a par 5 (on the card as a par 4 but is a par 5 some days apparently, thanks for telling us!) it is a silly hole in my opinion as a par 5, blind drive which is fine but then you are left with either a 230 yard 2nd shot to a raised green with no run up or a 9 iron lay up as I did. 13 is an awesome hole with a drive over the sea rocks and then the second to an amphitheatre green surrounded by rocks. I have read a few of the reviews below and appreciate that it must be a complete nightmare to play in the summer because of the public footpath and the amount of tees and greens that cross each other, this must produce 5 hour rounds plus and drive the members mad, maybe thats why they have the new 8. Great course, shame about the greens at the time but prefer Aberdovey, Royal St David's and Porthmadog, not sure if we will play it next year.
October 13, 2008

David Gollaher
Played in a heavy breeze in late June 2008. The setting is spectacular, but the course was in mediocre condition: the greens rolled very slow and unevely; the tee boxes were rough and occasionally shabby. Being a sunny day, there were lots of people strolling along the course with children and dogs, and shouts of "Fore!" were frequent. Worth a trip, but compared to Royal St David's and Conwy, second class.
July 02, 2008

Mike Wilby
I took a party of 24 golfers (of all abilities from 5 hcap -21hcap) to play The Wilby Cup Invitational) over the w/e of 18th/19th August. Saturday was the pratice round and Sunday The Wilby Cup. The weather was akin to Hurricane Katrina but we are very keen and capable and decided to make the best of the elements, over the 2 days. We had travelled from York in the main -although one intrepid invitee had come over from Spain!.We had decided to play the old course over the w/e -hence the "practice"!.The setting is spectacular, majestic in places I would say and the "elements" over the w/e added to its ferocity, beauty and intrigue.However, we are all agreed that the old course is unfair,dangerous and questionable in so far as safety and fairness. Unlike the first 10 holes, there are no markers for directions and yardage on the back 8, and as for "safety", I doubt if a risk assesment has been carried out given the line of the roadway/pathway that disects the 11th and 18th fairways and which continues along the 12th (to the car park and beyond as a walkway (designated NO CARS) which is ignored!!. With holiday makers and children in abundance on the road and pathway, going out and coming back - even on a bad weather day.! The golfers nightmare awaits every shot in this part of the course. Holidaymakers are not golfers!, they (and their children )are oblivious to the needs of the golfers waiting for a clearance in the stream of "potential hazards" - even by running on and off the course at times. It is for this reason that our group rate the course as "poor". The greens were also not as expected for a top 100 course, having been hollow tined and "grassy" - polite speak for wooly and slow! in August!!. Oh, and far too many blind shots!!.The staff were courteous and attentive, the pro and his staff helpful (on Sunday John said take 30pts and stay in the bar!!) - 30 won it off full hcap.The Sunday carvery was excellent and good value.I am saddened to write this because overall we had a great w/e, but we were all very disturbed at the dangerous nature of the back 8 in several places where the public seemed to have priority over the golfer and the danger they were in (potentially) from wayward shots and in gale force conditions, there were a few.As someone in the "events" arena, I would ask if a risk assesment (cleared by HSE) has been carried out?, HAS IT?.Please dont get me wrong, it is a beautiful and spectacular setting - a course to die for, with some spectacular holes to play (and view) - IF ONLY IT WAS SAFE!.Sorry,Mike WilbyThe Wilby Cup
August 25, 2007

alex sherratt
August 27, 2007
not really a golf review more of a H+S report ! I know your concerns but please note you played the course when the weather was good and the kids are on holiday so you will get people tracking across the course like many other seaside links (west cornwall, aberdovey, pennard etc) . I am not a member at Nefyn but would advise anyone to play there at least once just for the setting ! (try in june or sept)
Clifford
September 06, 2007
If you never go and play it ..... You will never know what you have missed! I have lived all my 46 years in North Wales and am well accustomed to the stunning local scenery. However, play this course and you will talk about it for years to come. Breathtaking at any time of year. Take plenty of balls, a camera and some good friends to share the experience with.
Donald Currie
August 03, 2008
I've been playing Nefyn for over 30 years, as a child we played on holday there every year. Yes, the original back 8 can be become a bit of a battle with the holidaymakers in August. But if you had followed your own advice and done an H+S assessment you'd have played the alternative back 8 which keeps you well away from them!
Neil Murphy
I played this golf course in October 2006. It was a mild day with minimal wind and I enjoyed it immensely. The rough is severe but the course is fair. In the first 8 holes, I hit 4 fairways, had 4 pars and lost 4 balls in the rough!! However, it is impossible for spirits to be dampened on a layout like this. The stretch of holes from 14 to 17 are breathtaking and offer a unique experience to those playing the Old Course.The greens were not in the best shape, but I was reassured by the club secretary that all 26 greens are being restored this winter and work will be completed by April 2007.I would encourage any golfer to play this course. I will certainly be returning( with not so many Titleist Pro V1's next time!!) in the near future.
October 26, 2006

Alex
Really good, a great day had by all – the views are magic and each hole is very different. The layout is just awesome and the final 8 holes on the Old course cannot be bettered. We played in light 10 – 15 mph winds but would dread to play this in a gale. The only downside was the condition of the greens (the 4th has been relaid) and the others just should have been better – however this did not spoil our day and it is a MUST for everyone – especially at £31 for a round on the Old course. Cracking food for lunch also !
June 10, 2005