Nefyn & District (Old) - North Wales - Wales

LL53 6DA,
Wales

• +44 (0) 1758 720966

Nefyn Beach - picture courtesy of Julle

Nefyn is dramatically located on the cliff tops at the foot of the Porthdinllaen headland, a tiny promontory that juts out from the Lleyn Peninsula into the Irish Sea. In terms of sheer topographical exhilaration, Nefyn is Wales’ equivalent of Ireland’s Old Head of Kinsale. This is literally golf on the edge of the world.

Nefyn and District Golf Club was founded in 1907, originally as a nine-hole course and in 1912, it was extended to 18 holes. One of the great triumvirate, J.H.Taylor, was commissioned in 1933 to add a further nine and to revise the existing course. F.W. Hawtree and his his partner A.H.F. Jiggens, known as “Jigg,” built three new holes in the 1980s.

Until recently, the layout at Nefyn was extremely unusual with 26 holes in play. The course comprised of 10 outward holes and two separate inward 8 holes, these two 18-hole courses were named the Old and the New. This rather strange configuration made life somewhat confusing for the first time visitor. However, Swan Golf Designs has rung the changes after a lengthy five-year advisory period whereby numerous improvements have been made, the most significant of which was the creation of new holes on the dramatic “Point”.

Today there are three distinct 9-hole loops at Nefyn, named Front (holes 1-9), Old (holes 10-18) and New (19-27). The Old course combines the Front and Old nines to create the club’s premier configuration. Most visitors will elect to play the Old course because it’s the Point’s spectacular cliff edge holes that are at times quirky but frequently jaw-dropping which simply have to experienced.

There are only a few seaside courses where you can see the sea from every hole, but you sure can at Nefyn. Not only is the sea in view, but also on a clear day, you can spot peaks of the Wicklow Mountains across the Irish Sea. The opening hole takes you away from the clubhouse to a series of cliff-top holes on the edge of the headland. There are blind drives, strategically placed bunkers, thick rough and, of course, the ever-present wind to contend with.

The Old course back nine plays along the Point peninsular, providing spectacular views across the cliffs and the bay. After the par four 15th, you’ll find a footpath down to the Ty Coch Inn, located on the beach at Porthdinllaen. A quick drink here on the pub’s famous wall, with the soothing sound of the sea and the glorious view across the bay to Mt. Snowdon, will set you up nicely for the closing three holes.

Reviews for Nefyn & District (Old)

Description: The Old course at Nefyn & District Golf Club is literally golf on the edge of the world and it makes the adrenaline pump... Rating: 6.8 out of 10 Reviews: 46
AJS
Played on a Monday in fairly still sunny weather - the walk is long but the views are sensational - the holes in the 'old' course from 11 to 17 are very entertaining and testing - pro and greenstaff helpful and friendly.
July 05, 2009

stephen voce
This has to be the best value for money in the UK!Fabulous views , interesting layout - excellent!
July 05, 2009

Dan Hare
If you appreciate quirky golf courses - a blow hole, huge carry across cliffs with fishermen below, tee shot from a lighthouse, what Bernard Darwin would call "live hazards", and on our visit a fully laden Harrier screaming low level across the peninsula - with masters' imprints you will love Nefyn and forgive any quibbling. One of the most memorable courses I have ever played (or any of my friends who I have dragged all the way to play there). And you must stop off for a pint at the Ty Coch Inn down in the beautiful sheltered cove - you have standing when you come back on the course !
June 10, 2009

Johnners
Played it twice now & loved it both times, the 12th is a bit daft but otherwise I think its a must visit. The staff & pro were very laid back & helpful too.
May 31, 2009

steve
This golf course is mental, i was blown away with it's beauty. the last 8 holes offer shots that i have never encountered before. Dont play it on a bank holiday though because there are hundreds of people walking along the public footpath making the game somewhat dangerous. I had seen many pictures of the 3 holes out on the pininsula, but not until i'd played them could i realy apreciate them. well worth the 3 hour journey. i cant help but think that a good golf archietect could turn this course into something absolutely amazing.
April 26, 2009

Paul Keen
Having played the course 2 years ago on an exceptionally windy but sunny day in June from reading the some what mixed comments below I felt compelled to write my own review, although 2 years late. There is only 1 way to describe this experience "breathtaking". yes if this was a new course it would not be allowed to open, but isnt that why we love the game so much, its old fashioned traditions, querkyness and the challenge.It was about 40 mile wind when I played, which was the 2nd time I had played the course, I had the round of my life, shooting 2 over off 8. This is not the main reason I enjoy Nefyn so much. The views, tight fairways on the back 8. Also the greens were typical links greens mainly true and pretty quick. Its all about position off the tee. You can be nicely on the fairway or 5 yards to your right watch your ball fall to the bottom of the cliff!!Yes the tees are 'fairly' close to greens but we didnt feel in danger at any time. The course was busy and even in testing conditions only took 4 hours to get round. The members are very friendly and very proud of their club, and rightly so. Almost as proud as I was about my round that day!! I cannot wait to visit again to try to beat my score. but you know what? If I fail my next day at Nefyn will still be equally enjoyable!
March 23, 2009

Andrew Parry
Don't know why this course is in the top 100.Yes the 'peninsula' holes are spectacular but the rest is an okay cliff top layout. Played it out of season so not many non golfers about but the 'picadilly circus' around the 1st green, 9th green etc lets it down. How we didn't hit anyone is a miracle. Can't knock the views but it is a strange mix that didn't appeal to me.
December 30, 2008

james wallace
For the past three years I have organised a four day golfing trip to North Wales. For the first time we included Nefyn and sadly it will be the last. Having seen the course whilst walking, in pictures and from talking to people who have played it I was looking forward to the visit. Yes the views are amazing, yes you can see the sea from every tee and green. However on our visit the greens had been spiked and every Tee had been soiled and seeded!! All this and they still charged full summer prices. I have even sent an email to the secretary to ask why, two weeks and still no response!! To find the course in this condition was a great disappointment, how this is 5 places above Conwy is beyond me. The first 10 holes are pretty straight forward, play the old 8 and you realise why they built the new 8. 5 ½ hour rounds must be easy in the summer on the Old 8. Not to mention checking your golfing insurance is fully comp, because if it’s not you getting hit it will be either another golfer or a member of public. The 12th can be either a par 4 or par 5, on the day we played they decided not to bother telling us, so we had to guess. However 13th, 14th and 15th nearly make up for the dreadful 11th, 12th, 17th and 18th. I suggest leaving your clubs in the bag, save £60 and go for a walk round the old 8 and enjoy a pint in the Ty Coch Inn!
October 15, 2008

Ben
Tough one this, the scenery is amazing, that is a given. We played 28 holes here at the beginning of October on summer prices and the greens were poor and the tee boxes shocking. Okay they were doing some work on the course at the time but why charge full price? We played Aberdovey, Royal St Davids and Porthmadog as well that week, they charged summer prices but the courses were immaculate. The conditions were brutal, and the wind was howling but I really enjoyed the challenge even though I got 12 points on the front 10! We then played the old 8 and what a test that is, I had a word with my self and got 15 points through that 8. We played 12 as a par 5 (on the card as a par 4 but is a par 5 some days apparently, thanks for telling us!) it is a silly hole in my opinion as a par 5, blind drive which is fine but then you are left with either a 230 yard 2nd shot to a raised green with no run up or a 9 iron lay up as I did. 13 is an awesome hole with a drive over the sea rocks and then the second to an amphitheatre green surrounded by rocks. I have read a few of the reviews below and appreciate that it must be a complete nightmare to play in the summer because of the public footpath and the amount of tees and greens that cross each other, this must produce 5 hour rounds plus and drive the members mad, maybe thats why they have the new 8. Great course, shame about the greens at the time but prefer Aberdovey, Royal St David's and Porthmadog, not sure if we will play it next year.
October 13, 2008

David Gollaher
Played in a heavy breeze in late June 2008. The setting is spectacular, but the course was in mediocre condition: the greens rolled very slow and unevely; the tee boxes were rough and occasionally shabby. Being a sunny day, there were lots of people strolling along the course with children and dogs, and shouts of "Fore!" were frequent. Worth a trip, but compared to Royal St David's and Conwy, second class.
July 02, 2008