Review for New Zealand

This is old fashioned golf at it's best, friendly members strolling around with Labradors, lockers with the names of the previous deceased owners on, including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. They really know how to make a society feel welcome here, bacon butty & coffee to start, a nice chap with Pimms at the ready for us at the 7th & 13th greens, and later we had a terrific lunch then back out for foursomes. I understand from the staff that they have one society that's been coming here for over 100 years. The course is pretty flat so is very walkable, and without significant elevation changes or distance to challenge you, the course relies on it's bunkers and heather and a par of 68 to keep you on your mettle. "Keep it on the fairways", seemed such simple advice - the memorable holes for me were the par 3 16th, and the dog leg 17th - but I must admit to a bit of a McCartney moment (ie. getting totally annoyed by the relentless Heather!), but in spite of that I could appreciate the old school charm and character of the place. A very enjoyable experience, go if you get the chance.

Date: September 06, 2010