Review for Newburgh-on-Ythan

This was my first course of a week of playing Aberdeenshire links courses. I ended up playing 12 of them and Newburgh finished near the bottom of the list. As it was my first course I enjoyed it thoroughly at the time but when I now compare it to Cruden bay, Murcar, Moray etc then it falls away. The front nine is played over a large hill and is a bit boring. It livens up at the 8th and 9th and whole back nine is more linksy, played over undulating fairways which are lined with plenty of gorse with the odd blind shot. By far the better 9. As I strolled around I kept looking at the wonderful dunes nearby thinking how terrific it would be to have a few holes routed through them. Thankfully I discovered such golf at Cruden Bay the following day. All up not a bad track but do your best to get a golf now special or a twilight round rather than pay the rack price of 40 pounds. Also, play it before the majority of others around the area…if I played it after CB etc then it would have been somewhat disappointing.

Date: August 05, 2015