Noordwijkse - Netherlands

Noordwijk,
Netherlands

• +31 (0)252 37 37 61

• 1 Km N of Noordwijk aan Zee

• Welcome midweek at certain times - contact club for details

• Frank Duivenvoorden

• Paul de Jong

• Iwan Renders

Noordwijk is a bracing North Sea seaside town and golf has been played amongst these Dutch sand dunes since 1915 when the Noordwijkse Golf Club was formed. A housing estate now occupies the original layout.

In 1959 local approval was granted to build a new 18-hole layout using a course routing drawn up by Noordwijkse club member, Paul de Jong. The plans were rubber stamped by Ken Cotton in 1960 but due to years of permit negotiations it took another nine years before construction work started. Eventually, in the early 1970s, a new 18-hole course, once again set among the dunes, was ready for play.

Undoubtedly, de Jong shaped a classic course through this undulating linksland with each hole winding its way through the sandhills and (in a Formby-like style) through pine woods at holes 4 to 7 then 11 and 12.

The Dutch Open has been held here nine times and winners include Seve Ballesteros (1986), Bernhard Langer (1992 and 2001) and Colin Montgomerie (1993). Noordwijkse is a tough pure links test, which stretches to 6,317 metres from the back tees.

Noordwijk is one of three links courses situated on this stretch of Dutch coastline… Kennemer (Zandvoort) and Haagsche (The Hague) complete the triumvirate.

Reviews for Noordwijkse

Description: Noordwijkse is classic links course on undulating linksland with each hole winding its way through the dunes and occasionally, in a Formby-like style, through pine woods. Rating: 8.9 out of 10 Reviews: 17
adt moir
A real treat.Was hosted by the top 100 Benelux correspondent which only added to the experience.A big golf course with lots of space that is very challenging yet simplistic in it's design and the general feel of the place.Lots of raised greens,a few blind drives and hidden pins with very small but fair greens.Plenty variety across the course and I liked the few holes in the forest.No really weak holes on the course in my opinionDefinitely worth playing and would love to play again when the greens are rolling trueA very good course with a very hospitable and welcoming clubhouse
March 11, 2012

David Davis
In order for a golf course to be considered a great course and really belong to the group that makes up the world’s best, there are several things that have to be considered and many requirements that a course has to satisfy.Noordwijkse Golf Club - 1st hole photo by Arjan Bor My personal test is to take a quick look back after I have finished my round and see how many holes I can recall. I ask myself how many holes stick out as great holes and then consider what I like to call the “wow” factor. For me the “wow” factor has to do mainly with location, for example, the last 6 holes at Cypress Point, the rocky cliffs, the break of the Pacific and the cypress trees. That’s a “wow” worthy of only the top course in the world. In The Netherlands granted there are some nice courses, however, there is only one course that can possibly provide a certain “wow” in my view. That course is De Noordwijkse.

The moment you turn off the coastal highway and onto the entrance driveway proceeding through the wooded coastal pine forest you realise you might be in for something special and unique. Upon breaking out of the pine forest and entering through the entrance gate the landscape opens up to the purest of links land. That to which any jolly Scot or Irishman would be incredibly proud. Upon arrival in the clubhouse you experience the “wow” factor I’m talking about. It’s a view I can only compare to that of Cruden Bay or even Chambers Bay where you look out from the highly perched clubhouses and first see what lies in wait before you. The view allows you to look out over much of the course and the rugged, undulated dunes land. It’s tough to hold back the excitement from this point.

At De Noordwijkse it’s clear that everything revolves around one thing and one thing only, that my friends is golf. Everything else is understated, the clubhouse is very nice and cozy, a great place to sit inside before and after your round. However, it’s incredibly understated and from the outside looks like something you might see in the dunes in Scotland or Ireland. The facilities are nice and cozy but the only real luxury is the view, that is, until you’re standing on the first tee. Review by David Davis (Top 100 Benelux correspondent – click here to read the full story.
December 08, 2011

David Davis
I have to comment on some of the remarks made here which I enjoy reading. To catch the Noordwijkse on a day when there is no wind is rare to say the least. Perhaps we've had about 5 of those this year. At nearly 7000 yds from the tips it's impossible to call this course not long, unless of course it's played from the women's tees. Let's not forget it's a links course and I'd challenge any single hcp'er to break 80 on a typical windforce 6-8 day. In fact, I even bet all my guests under 5 hcp they can't break 80 if the wind is blowing. Haven't lost that one yet. If your 5-10 hcp I make that 85-90 depending on the day. Win the bet, I buy all the drinks. The course is a bear, the rough is brutal in the summer the fairways are anything but wide as one reviewer commented although a couple are generous when there is no wind but miss them by a meter and let's just say pack lots of balls. The rest sounds pretty accurate. Let's face it, hit the ball long and straight down the middle every time and most courses fairways are pretty generous I guess. I'm a 6 hcp, have played nearly all the great links courses in the world and 44 of world's top 100 courses. Noordwijkse holds it's own among the best and has been kicking my butt all summer.
September 06, 2011

Guy
I'm going to preface my review by admitting that I am a very lucky boy indeed as I had the great good fortune to play this course a week or so after it had hosted the Dutch Ladies Amatuer Championship, so the course was in absolute top-notch condition. To add to my luck we had a wonderful warm, dry evening with only a hint of a breeze - very rare for any sea-side course - truly the Golf Gods were smiling on when we teed off that July evening! I have played a lot of sea-side courses, lots of real links courses and lots of other types of golf courses too. I have to say that I really, really enjoyed playing the Noordwijkse from the very first tee-shot to the last putt. I'm sure that it can be a beast when the rain is being driven in on a off-shore gale and I don't envy the members who'll have to try and maintain their handicap over the winter months, but I found the course to be a very fair test of golf. Well thought out with some holes picking their way through the trees while others have the more undulating traditional links feel with ball-grabbing gorse and blind shots. It is a pity that the dunes block out any view of the sea except from the club house, but of course I might think differently about that in less benign conditions. The course is part of a Nature Reserve which gives you opportunity to spot deer, rabbits and foxes when you are prodding the gorse in search of your ball.The Club House was warm and welcoming, the fare served up was much better than I had expected and the members I met were very friendly indeed. My playing partner, a lucky member, told me that there are plans to remodel a couple of holes and re-work the whole practice area, so I am looking forward to being invited back - whatever the weather!
August 09, 2011

Fraser
Just played an evening round at Noordwijkse. Beautiful course surrounded by high dunes. Course is not too long and the rough was fairly lenient (no lost balls!). A proper links/dune course in that shot making to the green and putting important to make scores. Fairways wide enough that you can give it a blast with the driver from most tees. Course in great condition and highly enjoyable. I would rate above Pan and Haagsche, two other very good courses.
July 27, 2011

Joey Chase
I've had the pleasure of playing this fantastic links and it is the real deal. Right off the first tee you get an amazing view of the links terrain you'll play throughout the round. I found the par fives to be especially good. The five holes that play through the trees are no less exhilarating and still play fast and firm. Anyone who says there's no trees on links courses needs still to see Carnoustie! The members were very welcoming and wouldn't even let us pay for a drink after the round. Put this on any must play list of continental europe! Joey
March 04, 2010

Tim Browne
This is a superb golf course and must be one of Frank Pennink's best designs. It is a true links course carving its way through dunes but has the added attraction of a run of really nice tight holes played through a pine forest. It is a tough course where the wind is likely to play a significant part of your golfing test. The terrain is very hilly so the course has been designed with a great deal of variety in the shape and styles of holes. The direction of the holes changes a lot as well so you are frequently turning into a different wind direction. If you are ever near this place do not forgo the chance to play this course, it is absolutely top drawer.
August 04, 2006

Scott
April 24, 2008
I completely disagree with this discription. I played this course yesterday and it was in horrible conditions. I have played a lot of great course this year (Old Course, Turnberry, Tralee, Waterville, Ballybunion, etc.) and for the cost this was by far the worse course I have ever played. For EUR 120 you get greens that rival muni-courses. Actually, I have played several muni-courses with much better greens. Also this is not a true links coures. I don't remember any of the above mentioned courses having trees!
Carl
April 30, 2008
I commisserate with Scott, paying €120,-- and getting crap greens. Holland is not the place to golf in april, come back in july,august september, then the greens will be OK. One the other hand, I played the Old course and Ballybunion several years ago and they made Noordwijk look good. If you climb the dunes behind the clubhouse, I think you can see the sea, so in that respect it might qualify as a links course.
Nick
June 05, 2008
First of all the reason they charge you 120 euros is because the club is private. Greens are good during the season, off season they are not spectacular, though much better then most in the Netherlands. I guess scott did not look around too much because hole 4, 5, 6, 7 and 12 are in the pine forest, if you ask me pretty hard to miss. The other holes leave you exposed to the winds. Many blind holes. When played under windy conditions the course play much much longer then it really is. I guess Scott came on a bad day, I have played here and enjoyed it very much on several occasions, I'd go back any time!
Kajo
July 26, 2008
Dutch club players are lucky, we can play here for 85 euro. We played yesterday and the course was in pristine condition, the greens being true and fast. The views from the clubhouse high above the course are stunning. For a links course, the number of blind drives and approaches is low, despite the undulating terrain. The par fours are all within 320 - 360 m range (from the medal tees), and it is the wind that determines the actual length of these holes. Bunkering is kept to the minimum. Only hole 18 has fairway bunkers, and also greenside bunkers are only to catch the wayward shots. Nonetheless, it is a very challenging course, which requires an A-game to score well. A great course that can match many of the good links in Ireland.