Review for Notts (Hollinwell)

Hollinwell is not a good course – it is an absolutely fantastic one. Very rarely has a course kept my interest on every shot, on every hole and I have played around 80 of the GB&I Top 100 and more than 220 that feature on the site. There really are no weak holes, all of which are very different from each other and the course just builds and builds and gets stronger throughout the round. The heath/wood/park land setting is beautiful with many different colours all around. Favourite hole on the front 9, is the 8th (walk down the steps and you must take a drink from the Hollinwell) – it’s a par-4 around 400 yards with the drive over water and to a raised green – really nice hole. The back 9 picks for me are the par-4 11th, around 360 yards but so many choices to make along the way. The par-3 13th is a great hole, long and downhill with some severe protection at the green. The short par-4 16th (350 yards) is my choice (difficult choice) as the best hole on the course – again choices from the tee to be made – go directly at the green and it may only be 310 yards - watch out though, more bunkers await anything less than perfect. The 18th is a toughie – a par-4 around 450 yards, depending on the wind, this could be two woods or a drive and a short iron. The clubhouse has a nice feel to it, lots of history oozing out of every nook and cranny and a warm welcome – The current ranking of 56th does not do the course justice - not sure if there are 55 better courses than Notts, to me this feels that the ranking should be around 30th in GB&I. Highly recommended.

Date: March 17, 2009

Read all reviews about Notts (Hollinwell)