Review for Notts (Hollinwell)

Returned to this marvellous place again at the end of October and have felt compelled to write a review. I played with a few of old school friends with whom I play with in the Halford Hewitt. They hadn’t played here before (they tend to stick to the Home Counties) but they were very impressed particularly with the tranquillity of the place. The setting is absolutely stunning and you do feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. The first is a very gentle start and lulls you in to a false sense of security – it is a must for a Par if you want a decent score. Two and three are more like it – undulating fairways and plenty of heather. The fourth is a killer. I could go on you just need to play it. Each hole is very memorable with my favourites being 10, 11 and 16. The drive down 18 is special – a wonderful view straight down to the old clubhouse. I’m pleased to announce we beat the others on the last but there were no hard feelings – we’d all enjoyed a terrific round. We went straight in to the spike bar and had a stiff brandy before a brisk shower and change. The food here is also very good. The Steward had uncorked a nice claret before we had started the round and we saw the fellow pouring it for us as we putted out on 18 – a nice touch. The only blemish on the day was the unfortunate presence of another Society (who arrived on a coach believe it or not!) who teed off after us. They were rather loud and dressed like builders – we heard them arguing with the Steward as we were preparing to leave – the blighters hadn’t even brought Jackets & Ties.

Date: December 17, 2010

Read all reviews about Notts (Hollinwell)