Now a 27-hole facility, Oakdale Golf and Country Club’s inaugural eighteen holes were designed by Stanley Thompson back in 1926, the year the club was formed by members of Toronto’s Jewish community. After a further nine hole loop – now called the “Knudson” nine – was added in the late 1950s by C.E. Robinson, the original two nines eventually became known as the “Thompson” and the “Homenuik” circuits.
The “Homenuik” measures 3,503 yards from the back tees and as it’s the longest of the three loops, good long iron and fairway wood play is essential to scoring well. The “Thompson” circuit is relatively short, demanding accuracy both off the tee and with approach shots. The “Knudson” nine complements the original course superbly and its maturing trees help it to blend in over time with the other holes on the property.
Interestingly, George Knudson and Wilf Homenuik were former Oakdale professionals who both forged decent careers on the PGA Tour.
George won the 1968 World Cup for Canada with Al Balding in Rome then the following year, he tied second in the Masters, falling 1 stroke short of George Archer’s total. Wilf won eighteen times as a professional, appearing in seven Canadian Opens and three World Cups.
Having two men of such wonderful golfing pedigree associated with the club, little wonder Oakdale renamed two of the course nines in their honour, recognizing the distinction that each player brought to the club.
Ian Andrew conducted a major overhaul of the bunkers, starting in 2015. When completed, the architect had upgraded all twenty seven holes on the property.