Established in 1916, Oakland Hills Country Club is the proud possessor of two fabulous Donald Ross designs: the South course, unveiled two years after the club was formed and host to more than a dozen major championships down the years, and the North course, which made its debut six years after its older sibling.
In the mid-1960s, the North underwent a major redesign and renovation by Robert Trent Jones Snr, resulting in the reversal of the 1st, 9th, 15th and 16th holes. The length was increased from 6,300 yards to 6,668 yards and the number of bunkers rose from around twenty to more than ninety.
In addition to all the on course modifications, the infrastructure at Oakland Hills was greatly improved with the installation of an aluminium bridge, 11 feet wide by 210 feet long, across Maple Road to connect the North with the South course.
When the US Amateur Championships were held at the club in 2002 and 2016, both the North and the South courses were used for these competitions.