Ocean Ridge Plantation (Tiger’s Eye) - North Carolina - USA

North Carolina (NC) 28469,

• Phillipe Bureau

• Tim Cate

• Martin Sludds

If you’re interested in ‘big game’ then you won’t want to miss playing one or more of Ocean Ridge Plantation’s four, soon to be five championship 18-hole courses including Tiger’s Eye, Panther’s Run, Lion’s Paw, Leopard’s Chase and the newest member Jaguar’s Lair which is actually a masterpiece in the making slated to open soon.

On a recent trip I managed to claw my way around the Tiger’s Eye Golf Links which continues to be voted one of the “Top 100 U.S. Public Golf Courses” and my personal favorite on this visit. Walking up the clubhouse entrance staircase I was immediately struck by the panoramic view from the covered veranda and knew that I was in for something special.

Here Tim Cate has taken maximum advantage of the land’s natural setting giving each hole a unique personality so be sure to bring your camera. There are generous, fast-paced, undulating greens including the intimidating island green on the par three 11th hole surrounded by native Coquina boulder bulkheads. All the holes offer well tree-lined rolling fairways but the back nine features over sixty feet of elevation change, five holes where water must be carried, a par three island green and a very picturesque waterfall just left of the 18th tee.

With five sets of tees ranging from 4,502 to 7,014 yards, Tiger’s Eye caters to all levels of skill and has been carefully designed for those who choose to walk. My only wish is that I could have played all of the other “Cat Courses” so definitely one more reason to return to the Brunswick Islands. 18-hole rates with cart range from $80 to $120USD depending on the course and time of year.

And if that’s not enough, try as I might I couldn’t get my fill of fresh seafood whether dining at fabulous restaurants in self-proclaimed and aptly named “The Seafood Capital of the World” – Calabash – made famous for its unique style of lightly battering and quick frying clams and oysters to lock in the delicious flavor or making a purchase from a shrimper and then heading home to grill our ‘catch’ to perfection on our back-deck BBQ.

For a complete story on Golf in Brunswick County visit http://golftravelandleisure.com/2013/10/23/golf-in-brunswick-county-north-carolina/

The above article is courtesy of our Canadian Correspondent, Dave Finn.

Reviews for Ocean Ridge Plantation (Tiger’s Eye)

We have no user reviews for this course yet, submit yours and be the first!