Amendoeira (Faldo) - Algarve - Portugal

Amendoeira Golf Resort,
Morgado da Lameira,
8365-023 Alcantarilha,
Portugal

The Amendoeira Golf Resort is situated in the central Algarve district of Silves, half an hour’s drive from Faro airport and the two new courses here – Faldo and O’Connor Jnr – are the first to be constructed within a rural area that once held dominion over the south coast of Portugal.

Once part of the burgeoning Oceânico golfing empire, Amendoiera’s pair of 18-hole championship layouts are complemented by a 9-hole par three track which is floodlit for evening use, along with a number of practice chipping and putting areas. In all honesty, it’s a modern golf facility to match any of the others along this famous golfing coastline.

Faldo’s course calls for golfers to play strategically, avoiding the desert scrub bunkers, rocky outcrops, wandering water hazards and olive trees that lurk in wait for errant shots. Careful positioning of the golf ball will afford the opportunity to score well so “keeping it in play” are the main watchwords here, especially on the hillier back nine.

Nick Faldo is really pleased with the course, saying, “the land at Amendoeira is dramatic and the project has the potential to be a real talking point in the Algarve. With so many courses in the region, that’s no mean feat. This is a very exciting project, which gives me a great opportunity to exploit my passion for design. You have incredible views, beautiful undulating land and any time you get natural terrain like this, it is great fun to work with”.

Reviews for Amendoeira (Faldo)

Description: Faldo’s course at Amendoeira calls for golfers to play strategically, avoiding the desert scrub bunkers, rocky outcrops, wandering water hazards and olive trees that lurk in wait for errant shots. Rating: 7.7 out of 10 Reviews: 27
Andreas Holmgren

Great course, but the Co-vid 19 is evident at the facility. Played with the family were we are 7, 10, 15 HCP from the white, yellow and blue tees. There are 5 tees at the Faldo course which are awesome and really challenges the players. This is a championship course so if you don't hit the ball far you have the option of solving that with the different tee lay outs. I played the white (HCP 11) and it was 150 to 230 meters to the fairway on 12 of the 18 holes.

The greenfee we payed 380 EUR is way overpriced for July and therefore the course was empty, which is a strategy know a days to keep the wear & tear to a minimum and staff off the pay schedule. Great service, good carts, practice area OK but the facility is in tough economic slump because the facility up keep is cut to a low effort mode, everything was overgrown, grass growing in the 2nd hole bunkers??

If you want a true championship course layout then I recommend it! Weekend golfer or high hcp I would do cheaper.

July 14, 2020

Mark

Really worth a trip to play this amazing course. Great condition and facilities. Enjoyed staying on site in the villas too.

June 18, 2020

Peter Handcock

A good course, but a bit of a slog. It's very long, over bunkered and a lot going on on the greens. A very good championship course, but if you're looking for fun, I'd play the O'Connor course instead.

March 16, 2020

Jez

The Amendoeira Resort, which boasts two courses used to fly under the 'Oceanico' flag along with 5 other courses in Villamoura (Old,Pinhal, Laguna, Millennium and Victoria)

The resort is fantastic, and the views are amazing. It's not an easy course with a variety of different tees to play off. I would feel sorry for anyone walking the course as there are many ups and downs, and that's excluding the golf!

The price is quite expensive which you would expect for this kind of area, but out of the former 7 courses attached to the group, I genuinely think this is one of the better ones to play if you're making the journey.

One hole which stands out in particular was the par 5 4th. An elavated tee lets you open up your shoulders and let one fly, many more yards available than a normal drive due to the severity of the tee and the downhill fairways. A typical risk reward awaits if you decide to go for two over the hazard. Good luck!

February 12, 2020

Tony Dunleavy

Played both courses last week of November, winter special golf + buggy €65, good value especially by Algarve expensive €100+ prices for us gullible tourists (I'm Irish and championship golf courses cost €30-40 on average). I was worried about some reviews saying courses in bad condition, but I did not find that. My only gripe was the starter insisted that on the Faldo course that with my handicap (11) I had to play the yellows and not the whites which resulted in hardly no use at all of my medium to long irons on decent drives, too many short irons. Both courses are a good test and very enjoyable in their own ways. Playing off whites on the O'Connor, with good drives circa 250 yards, I used every club in the bag and my 6 iron (175yards) about 5 times, which was fantastic and rare for holiday golf. It has big open fairways, good variety and a good challenge, in great condition, especially the greens. It's quite flat, so no need at all for a buggy. I'd say it's almost the perfect holiday golf course. The Faldo is certainly a more difficult challenge due to much hillier terrain and tighter drives, but is very enjoyable in it's own right, probably needs a buggy. The course has great variety and is a real challenge, my only grumble, apart from the yellow tees, was the greens were a bit slow, they needed 1 more cut of grass, but were in good condition. I didn't use the clubhouse facilities, but looked good. Staff friendly except the Faldo starter who needs help with his ''customer skills'', he said I couldn't play the course without a 'pitchfork' repair tool as I was standing on the 1st tee-I had one but if such a hard line is course policy, he should have a bagful to hand out to those without them, I'm sure they can be bought for nothing in quantity. Overall, very pleased and I would certainly return

December 02, 2019

Gary Ross

Have played this course more than any other course in Portugal (around 50 times). Always enjoy the villas and unlimited golf deals that exist. Never that busy and the variety of tee boxes make this as difficult as you want it to be. Well kept, great facilities and some great and varied holes.

July 13, 2019

Freddie

I enjoyed playing the Faldo course and in my opinion it is better than the O'Connor as it is a lot more interesting and has some great holes. The par 5 4th is an absolute beauty of a golf hole as the drive is stunning and in addition to that when you get past the par 3 11th hole and you get to 12th hole the views are stunning when you look down across the Algarve, you can see everything. In addition to this the course is normally in pretty slick condition as when I played it the tees were nice and the greens were running well, everything was great and I would love to play it again.

April 06, 2019

Dan Hare

I'm evidently a little out of tune with the other reviewers here, but I didn't really enjoy my two rounds on the Faldo in October.

We were visiting as a society, and whilst the course appears to have everything I would like in a course from reading in advance, in practice I found it very short of fun.

I wasn't driving that well, and if you find yourself in that position prepare for a beasting and quite a few lost balls !

The greens weren't in great nick, it certainly was very slow, buggies are absolutely required (including a weird green-to-tee few minutes on a post apocalyptic abandoned road for yet more unbuilt condos), and with so many upturned saucer greens it was very poor that the first fringe was shaggy meadow grass, making recovery shots extremely difficult.

A real shame, because with a bit more room off the tee and less trouble on some of the long approach shots, there were some fun looking holes. I just didn't get to putt on most of them !

December 30, 2018

Sandro M. Muffat

Really nice course designed by Sir. Nick Faldo that is testing also low handicapers. There are some really long holes out there, that demand accuracy and length at the same time. A lot of elevation in play, so best to take a buggy for the round.

Fairway and greens in really good condition during our round. If you like a demanding round of golf, the Faldo course is the perfect setting.

October 09, 2018

Peter O'Donnell

This is an epic golf course and great fun to play, although you will need a buggy. There are numerous risk reward holes (most notably the Par 5 13th - elevated tee, how much of the corner do you take on?. It was in good condition, although greens a little soft. Clubhouse is nothing special and buggy provision disorganised. 5 hours and 40 minutes for a 4 ball to get round, but, hey, we're on holiday. Just enjoy the views.

May 31, 2018

David Oliver
August 26, 2018

Epic but only 5 balls ? not sure even the views (and yes I have played the course and the views are wonderful, especially of Aqualand Waterpark) can sustain 5 hours 40 minutes