Review for Oitavos Dunes

Played this course on 29th February and sadly I must agree with some of the earlier reviews that this course is overrated. Perhaps the management have done too good a job to raise the profile with golf publications as they make a big play of their “ 68th in the World” rating by one of these – it is in all of their literature and on notices around the clubhouse. All I can say is that the review committee must have been suffering some after effects from the night before! But don’t get me wrong this is a good golf course and I think all of the par3 holes are interesting but it is not a great course and doesn’t justify its high green fees. Having played many top100 courses every one at some point in your round produces a “wow” factor. Well you won’t find it here although the course is a serious challenge! When we played the greens were without doubt the worst of 5 courses we played in the area. I left a written complaint in the designated complaint box, together with email address, telephone no. etc and they haven’t bothered to respond. Now what does that say? The staff made a point that there hadn’t been much rain, but this is common with the other courses we played. One other point I would make is that the 18th is a badly designed hole –at 445 yards from the yellows and a slight dog leg left, you need to hit left of a tree in the fairway but as the fairway slopes left to right the next shot is still played from the right hand side of the fairway some 200yds away – but another tree blocks the route to the RHS of the elevated green! Perhaps the pros think it is good but its not good for an 8 handicapper like me! TB.

Date: March 26, 2012