Review for Ojai Valley Inn

Ojai has that old school feel. The resort is unique in the US. I can't think of anything like it. Your significant other would enjoy a stay there. Ojai was designed by the golden age architect George C. Thomas. He designed the best courses in SoCal - LACC, Riv, Bel-Air. I don't believe the course is originally how Thomas designed it. I understand it has been altered.

The front nine (original back) has some really neat holes - 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9. These are holes that you rarely see nowadays. There is great use of the barrancas. On the back nine 15-18 are solid. 16 is not as good as it once was - a super par 3 when it was designed.

Overall it's worth a trip. I consider it a solid golden age course. If the resort had the desire it could be improved to be closer to the original Thomas design. The course has kikuyu grass which virtually eliminates the ground game. There are also some eyesores like "The Farmhouse" which completely destroyed the 9th and 18th holes. I truly can't believe that monstrosity was built, but money talks.

I hope to get back to Ojai again someday. I gladly recommend it.

Date: November 10, 2019