Oklahoma City Country Club was founded in 1912 but it didn’t move to its current location until 1934, when it took over what had formerly been called Nichols Hills Country Club. The owner of the new property, G. A. “Doc” Nichols, was keen to trade places with the club and was happy to swap locations within five years of having made an approach to do just that.
Oklahoma City inherited a layout that had been designed by legendary course architect Perry Maxwell in 1929. After four of the greens were replaced on holes 8, 9, 14 and 15, it hosted the US Amateur Championship in 1953, an event won by Gene Littler with a narrow victory against Dale Morey in the final, sinking a birdie putt on the 18th green to claim the title.
The course has changed little down the years. A lake was enlarged in the mid-1970s, a cart path installed in the mid-1980s and new tees introduced in 2008/9. Apart from some minor re-sequencing of holes, the course in play today (with its old-fashioned out-and-back routing) is largely the one that was brought into play more than 90 years ago.
Tripp Davis conducted a course restoration in 2019, focusing on the reclamation of fairway width, the extension of greens, and restyling bunkers to look and feel more like their original design. There was also a tree management component to the work, along with a grass replacement program to install 007 bentgrass on greens, and Latitude 36 bermuda on tees and fairways.