Within ten years of its foundation in 1915, Olympia Fields Country Club had no fewer than four 18-hole courses available to its membership, supported by the largest and grandest clubhouse in the world.
Shortly after the end of World War II, what were then known as course No. 2 and No. 3 were sold off for property development, leaving the North course (the old No. 4) and South course (the ex-No. 1) to form the new 36-hole facility.
Feature holes on the Tom Bendelow-designed South layout include the uphill 365-yard 6th, played to creek-protected green, and the tight, 460-yard doglegged par four 17th.A Steve Smyers upgrade in 2008 – when he reworked greens and bunkers, as well as adding more than 500 yards of extra length – sharpened the teeth of the South layout to the extent that it’s now one of the best “relief” courses in the country.