Review for Oxfordshire

We played 27 holes at The Oxfordshire on 7th Oct 2010 in a golf society and I have to say I was really impressed by the whole set up. Firstly the course was in great condition and the greens were slick with very subtle contours and burrows that weren’t obvious to begin with, the fairways were in excellent shape and you always had a good lie to hit your approach shots in and even the rough wasn’t too bad. The bunkering here is excellent, very strategically placed and some are not visible from the tee so you have to rely on your stroke saver to plot yourself round, the sand was also very good to which aided escape. The Oxfordshire will not suit everyone’s tastes but you have to take it for what it is, which is great fun to play!

The Par 4 8th is a classic risk reward hole off the yellow tees, it is a 260yd carry to reach the green over water and I went for it both times, first time I hit the rocks in front of the green the 2nd time I pitched it 20ft past the pin – yes the safer option is to go along the left and take water out of play from the tee but sometimes you just have to go for it and it’s great fun. The Par 5 17th is very similar in that respect, you could play all around the water and still safely be on the green in 3 shots, however with 215yds left for my 2nd over water I took a chance and hit a rescue club 20ft from the pin for an eagle chance, I’ll brush over the fact I then 3 putted but again it was another hole where there is definite risk and reward and sometimes it’s just fun to have a go– a classic matchplay hole much like the 15th at Celtic Manor. The Par 3’s were all excellent and when the wind blows you’re often clubbing up 2 or 3 clubs just to avoid the huge bunkers and water, especially on the 13th.

The facilities are superb and the service was also second to none, we were always looked after the whole day and the food was excellent, the drinks in the bar are pricey however much like the Stables Bar at The Grove, but the price we paid for 27 holes and 3 meals justified a few extra drinks afterwards. If you don’t like The Grove or Celtic Manor then you probably won’t like The Oxfordshire as it’s in a very similar mould, however if you want to play golf on a well conditioned course with some excellent risk reward holes then I would highly recommend it, we’ve already added The Oxfordshire to our society fixture list again next year and I can’t wait.

Date: October 08, 2010