Review for Pebble Beach

Eagerly anticipated events all too often fall short of expectations, probably because those expectations were unrealistically high. I had been looking forward to playing Pebble Beach for about ten months and my expectations were pretty high...and I think the course surpassed everything I had hoped for. I have played many of the top 50 courses in GB and Ireland and I have no doubt that Pebble Beach is my new number 1, by a l-o-n-g l-o-n-g way.It is magnificent. The cost is horrendous but I don’t mind that any more. The ‘good’ holes cannot be bettered – their condition and the scenery combine to create the perfect holes. The ‘weak’ holes are all good holes in their own right – three of my fourball were caught out by the speed and slopes on the first green, the carry to the third fairway (we played from the black tees) is daunting, and many of the greens are so small that hitting them requires better precision that I could muster.Picking a favourite hole is akin to picking a favourite child. The obvious holes were my favourites – 6 to 10, 17 and 18. I figured playing Pebble Beach would be a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience, but I now know I will go back there again one day...maybe more than once. It is fantastic.

Date: June 03, 2011