Review for Penha Longa (Atlântico)

Penha Longa was my personal favourite of the five courses we played on our recent trip to the Lisbon coast. I really liked the variety of holes and changes of elevation.

The par 3s were all standouts. Two are from elevated tees hitting down to a green below. The other two are across, or beside water, with the 15th particularly demanding for us into the wind.

The 16th was probably the most memorable hole on the course. It’s great seeing a well-hit drive framed against the trees as it drops to the valley fairway below. Even with a good drive the green perched above is barely within reach for the second shot. I also liked the 11th, a dogleg right with out of bounds right and requiring an exacting mid/short iron to a raised green.

The greens had some sort of disease running through them but it’s pleasing to note from Jim McCann’s recent review that the club are addressing this as a matter of urgency.

Other courses in the area may appear higher in the rankings but I’d choose Penha Longa over the likes of West Cliffs and Oitavos Dunes every time. Well worth a visit.

Date: October 20, 2021

Read all reviews about Penha Longa (Atlântico)