Review for Pennard

Pennard- Having reviewed the Links Mag with Tom Doaks unloved featured, of which Pennard was the pictured course. A visit was in order. I had put together a SW English itinerary and upon reflection thought heck Royal Porthcawl and Pennard are just around the bend....So let's do it. I was quite fortunate to garner a clear brisk day while on the Pennard property. The views are fantastic. The visual appeal to golf probably holds more passion for me than many. I'm a voyeur of golf. Ha. Pennard has several holes which are one of a kinds...The par 3 13th is unlike any I have ever played. The green is situated at a spot which seems illogical. But it is fabulous. The course meanders thru the dunes with hardly a level lie anywhere. It is quirky with its electric fences to guard the greens. There are numerous poles to assist with direction on blind shots. This is just a fun fabulous course which is a must play. The cantilevered 18th fairway is insane. I can't wait to get back. Without a doubt Royal Porthcawl is the best of Wales...but Pennard is a close 2nd.

Date: May 10, 2019