Review for Perranporth

Wow, What a course! No boring holes, just one great hole following another. A solid, if not spectacular opening hole is the gateway to a course that surprised me continually. If you don’t like blind shots avoid this course. I love them because it means I am likely to be playing in rolling dunes. The whole course is set throughout the most interesting golf territory I have so far experienced. I thought Cruden bay was relentless with the dunes but this is more so.

The outward 9 gives more opportunity to hit driver off the tees as the inward 9 needs smart play off the tee to be in a position to attack the flag. This is impossible the first time you play this course. You take aim over the marker post and hope for the best. Often you think you have nailed it say 5 metres to either side of it only to find yourself halfway up a hillock in wispy stuff. It all makes sense once you look back on the hole.

Interestingly there are three long par 5s all well over 500 yards but no par 4s in the 400-500 yard range. They are all high 200s through to high 300s. To play this course a second time would have to result in 5+ less shots. Placement off the tee is essential. Such a pleasing course, I have no hesitation in giving this 6 balls, despite the last hole being the only average hole on the course. The road across the front of the green which you cannot see from the tee, and it being low 300s downhill, means there must be some close calls. To me it leaves North Berwick in the shade for quirkiness and has it comfortably over St Enodoc. Warren from Aust

Date: August 06, 2018