Review for Perranporth

A simply beautiful place to play links golf. Poldark style cliff top sea views and a challenging but fair James Braid course.

Although there are clear marker posts on each tee whenever the shot is blind I highly recommend you buy the course guide in the pro shop before your round. You will be glad of it due to the many elevation changes and uphill holes. It offered me reassurance anyway!

I played the course on a sunny early September day with about a 1/2 a club wind, which must have been quite benign compared to usual conditions. The elevation changes would have made club selection even more difficult had the wind been higher.

I shot 81 for a net 73 which I was really happy with playing the course blind.

Highlights for me included the 5th, which at 118 yards was almost like playing the postage stamp in reverse, it being completely uphill. Not heeding the warning in the guide book I pitched my ball at the front of the green and had to watch it slowly fall back into the pot bunker waiting below.

I also enjoyed the doubly blind 5th & 11th holes. The 11th green being not only elevated but also running off downhill at the back. A really difficult approach.

Overall a visually stunning place to play. I also want to mention how welcoming and friendly everyone was, from the lady who answered my phone call to book the round, to the pro shop, the guys out on the course and the bar steward. Don’t go on holiday to Cornwall without playing here.

Date: September 06, 2020