Review for Perranporth

Perranporth is a unique, a real links course laid out on the side of a hill, not natural golfing terrain by any stretch of the imagination but it does work just about. I played at the end of April in cool, dry and relatively still conditions with the rough barely up, probably as easy conditions you’ll ever get there. The views are glorious and help you get through the unrelenting toughness of the front nine, crazy levels of undulation combined with blind shots and landing zones that launch the ball in all sort of unlikely places, I’ll put that down the dry and firm conditions, I don’t imagine it’s often like that given the amount of rain that normally falls in Cornwall. It all feels something of a grind, basically up and down several times, only the 7th hold stood out for me. Thankfully coming back the course is routed over much more sensible terrain with some rolling undulation as it carves it way through some large dunes, in fact from 11 onwards the course is great and makes you forget the misery of the front 9. Given it was early in the season the condition was a little scruffy and greens were slow but a blast of warm weather should fix that. I feel you need to play Perranporth for the experience at least once. While I can appreciate the architecture, quality of many holes I have no desire to play it again, the back 9 is class but isn’t enough to erase the memory of the front 9. I’m surprised its ranked ahead of Trevose which is a much more consistent course on every level and a greater number of quality holes overall.

Date: May 05, 2021