Review for Perranporth

I too have been a member at Perranporth and I have really fond memories of my time there. It’s not the best course in the Southwest, but it’s one that my friends always enjoyed playing and one that I will always have a soft spot for. First of all, it’s one of the most natural courses in the Southwest, its routing is simple and follows the lie of the land. That means that there are number of blind shots that do not appeal to everyone. Nothing much has changed here since the course was laid out during the Golden Age of golf course architecture and as an avid student of golf course architecture I can tell you that Perranporth is well worth playing. Clearly everything is about opinions and my opinion is that Perranporth is a traditional and honest course with excellent topography (in a similar style to Pennard in Wales). The greens are first class (throughout the season) and it is actually a tough course on which to score. It is true that the course is not long and there are no par fours over 400 yards, but does that matter? In my experience, the course yielded very few low scores in the monthly medal rounds. Basically you have to place your tee shot in the “zone” in order to get a good approach to the greens – how many handicap golfers can regularly place their tee shot in the perfect position? There is no pretence that Perranporth is a championship course but for around £30 per round it does represent excellent value for money on a true and traditional old-fashioned links. I just wish there were more courses like this around the world. One reviewer below said that this is holiday golf… well it’s true, during the season Cornwall is blessed with holidaymakers, the area is beautiful and there are few lovelier golfing tracts in the world.

Date: November 29, 2009