Review for Perranporth

I played this last Saturday afternoon - prime holiday time, but we played a four ball in just under 4 hours and didn't have to wait on a single shot. The wind was a steady one club, the sun was shining, the sea sparkling - in short, pretty close to perfect for a £42 green fee. I agree this is a "marmite" course, because it is very quirky, but I absolutely loved it. The terrain is reminiscent of Ballybunion or the back nine at Tralee - massive, endless dunes on the top of a cliff. Braid's design stands up remarkably well, and what's wrong with blind tee shots - Royal County Down has 7 of them and that's a world top 10 course. I am not saying that Perranporth is in that sort of league - but every single hole made me smile, and presented a distinct challenge on at least one shot. The short holes are top quality, the 11th is one of the best par 5s in the land, and I loved the 17th, with its challenging risk/reward drive and deceptively sloping green. If you are a golfer and you are down in Cornwall you just have to give it a go.

Date: August 09, 2010