Review for Pine Valley

Pine Valley is an experience. It has been without doubt the best day of my golfing life up until now. The chance to finally get to see first hand tracts of land that I have read about since I was a teenager was incredibly special for me. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing vertically all day. Even as a scratch golfer, I would be lying if I did not say the course’s reputation affected my golf game, especially early during the round. If I am ever lucky enough to have the opportunity to play the course again, I would be hopeful that I would not be so easily overawed. Now and again I make my own personal lists of things such as, the best par three/four/five I have played, my favourite eclectic 18 holes, best short par three, long par four etc. I never seem able to to exclude one hole at Pine Valley. Is it the best golf course in the world? For me, as a purist, a low handicap and a lover of golf course architecture, it wins hands down. Others who enjoy more of a stroll among beautiful surroundings may prefer, the courses of the Monterrey Peninsula or the Irish/Scottish courses like Royal County Down, Portrush, Turnberry and Waterville. For me there will forever only be one Number 1!

Date: June 29, 2011