Pinehurst (No.2) - North Carolina - USA

Pinehurst Resort,
1 Carolina Vista Drive,
Village of Pinehurst,
North Carolina 28374,

Pinehurst Resort & Country Club played host to the 1951 Ryder Cup matches between the USA and Great Britain. Team Captains were Sam Snead (US) and Arthur Lacey (GB). Sam Snead often cited Pinehurst No.2 as his favourite course and the US Captain turned the event into a rout despite a rather bizarre interlude when the competition was suspended so that both teams could attend a football game. Arthur Lees spared the British embarrassment by scoring 2 points and Jimmy Demaret retired from Ryder Cup competition with the best unbeaten record (6-0-0) in event history. USA 9 ½ - GB 2 ½. The Ryder Cup was played at Ganton in 1949 and at Wentworth in 1953.

With more than 100 years of history and nine golf courses cleverly routed through 2,000 acres of North Carolina’s sandhills, you’ll need to schedule a little more time than usual to fully absorb the incredible Pinehurst experience.

Donald J. Ross made the trip from his native Scotland to America in 1899 with the objective of introducing the royal and ancient game to a burgeoning nation. Shortly after his arrival, James W. Tufts, the visionary behind the Pinehurst Resort, commissioned Ross and he stayed on at Pinehurst for a further 48 years.

In the early days, Pinehurst had a simple rudimentary 9-hole course but that was soon to change. Ross cut his golfing teeth at Royal Dornoch and their domed greens were soon to become his hallmark. Pinehurst No.2 opened for play in 1907 and its green sites are the ultimate test, legendary and quite unique. These average sized putting surfaces have been known to reduce a grown man to tears. With wicked fall offs around the edges, these greens are actually much smaller than they look and they will hold only the best or the luckiest approach shots. Vivid imagination and the finest skill are required to negotiate these greens in regulation.

So, is Pinehurst No.2 all about the greens? The short answer is no. No.2 course has a few world-class holes (5th, 9th and 16th) and as a complete course it has to be one of the most finely balanced and most difficult courses we have ever played. It’s no wonder it was the chosen venue for the 1999, 2005 and 2014 US Opens. And we’re sure many people will recall with affection Payne Stewart’s remarkable final hole putt, which secured the 1999 title.

“Americans, unlike the British, are not given to playing in the rain,” wrote Robert Trent Jones in The Complete Golfer, “but at Pinehurst they make what is perhaps their one exception. I dare say that more people play in the rain at Pinehurst than at any other golf course in America. In fact, if you have a wind-breaker and an umbrella, it’s a rather pleasant thing to do, because the sand underfoot makes for relatively dry walking. In the rain, the pine trees seem to glisten, making each hole an individual jewel.” Maybe playing in the rain at Pinehurst is not a bad idea... the greens will be more manageable perhaps?

The design firm of Coore and Crenshaw was engaged at Pinehurst with a brief to return the No.2 course to its 1930s sandy character. The renovation work was based on old aerial photographs, which included increasing fairway widths, removal of turf in the rough with sandy waste areas and numerous bunker modifications. The work started in spring 2010 and completed in 2011. The renovated Pinehurst No.2 staged the 2014 US Open and it proved to be a formidable test for all but one player. Martin Kaymer coasted to an eight-shot victory after shooting a pair of 65s in the opening two rounds, carding a 72-hole score of 271, the second lowest in U.S. Open history. Only three players finished the tournament under par.

Pinehurst Resort is one of our Top 100 Golf Resorts of the World

Reviews for Pinehurst (No.2)

Description: Pinehurst No.2 course opened for play in 1907 and its green sites are the ultimate test, legendary and quite unique. Rating: 9.1 out of 10 Reviews: 38
Javier Pintos
Last April I was in USA for the Masters, but unfortunately I did not play (yet) Augusta National. Some weeks before the trip I was confirmed a 2 nights stay and games at #4 & #2 in Pinehurst. I have to say although I was really happy to finally walk inside the gates of Augusta, my really big excitement came from playing another Major Venue and maybe Donald Ross most famous course ( I would share this spot with Oak Hill East Course). Even during my 2 days at the practice rounds I was with my head thinking in playing #2. Some have said I am crazy, maybe yes, but the fact is I like to play a lot more than I like to watch, even the best players at Augusta. After the practice round on Tuesday I drove 4hs and arrived to Pinehurst near midnight, really tired! After a breakfast with the Property Manager I was showed the entire resort, some of the courses, the spa and after lunch played a nice round at #4. I also took the picture with Pinehurst (No 2) Golf Course - Photo by reviewerPayne Stewart's Statue and I was really looking forward to play #2, which I did the following morning with Jack (VP of Sales). It was a foggy morning, we were the first two people on the course so we had it all for us until we arrived to hole 10 to be slowed down by people starting on that hole. There are many courses that are nicer than #2, there are also many courses tougher but I feel this one is the best course for match play I have ever played. I mantain concentration as in a competitive round and scored a decent 77 (+5) with 2 birdies and 7 bogeys. The first point to state is that greens are even tougher than what you can imagine, to hold the ball on the gree is even tough with an easy 100yds wedge shot. Tee shots are demanding but not impossible, there is space and the native areas are not impossible to find recovery, it is difficult to lose a ball which is great for higher handicappers. Then reading the greens I feel is the toughes part: I had a great caddie who was great with the reads and sometimes I was very surprised with the breaks which are not clear for even the best players. And here my final fact: the course is great for match because I score is never sure until you hole the putt, you can miss greens from 100yds and then fail to make 3 shots from there when missing to the wrong side. The walk is amazing, caddies are excellent and you are always bringing back to your memory shots you have seen by the pros. If you have the chance, you have to play #2 and if possible let it be a match play, there you will see how an almost won hole can be lost and viceversa. A last star to the ProShop: it has EVERYTHING! whatever you want to buy you have it. I am going to go back for my match play there!
December 28, 2015

Larry Berle
This course is on everyone’s Top 10, but to be honest I don’t know why. I liked it but I didn’t love it…

Ross is probably the most prolific designer who ever lived; he designed more than 400 golf courses, a third or a quarter of which he never set foot on. At the peak of his career, he employed approximately 3,000 people. Eleven of his courses are on the Golf Digest Top 100. Eighteen U.S. Opens have been played on Donald Ross courses. Although he was bitter after losing the bid to design Augusta National, he then devoted himself to making Pinehurst No.2 the greatest golf course in the nation. He lived at Pinehurst for many years, and he was constantly tinkering with the design of No.2. Most people say it is his best design. I have played several of his other courses (Oakland Hills and Salem Country Club) that I liked much more, but I am clearly in the minority.

The price to play Pinehurst had not yet skyrocketed, so we played it two days in a row. The rough was dormant in the fall so it was not particularly scenic. No.2 is not only challenging from tee to green, but almost every green is crowned, so even a well hit shot onto the green may roll off into a collection area, and there are many of those, which can become frustrating. If you’re a good chipper and putter, then you can score well on this course, because you’ll be doing a lot of chipping. If not – well, have a nice day. Larry Berle.
October 29, 2014

Keith Baxter
October 29, 2014
The above review is an edited extract from A Golfer’s Dream, which has been reproduced with the author’s kind permission. A Golfer’s Dream, by Larry Berle, tells the story of how a regular guy conquered America’s Top 100 Golf Courses (following Golf Digest’s 2001/2002 list). Larry has exclusively rated for us every course in the hundred, using our golf ball rating system. However, Larry did not rate the 100 courses against every golf course he has played, but instead he rated them in relation to each other within the hundred. Consequently, in some cases, his rating may seem rather low. A Golfer’s Dream is available in Kindle format and also on Kindle Unlimited via Amazon... click the link for more.
Joey Chase
I had the pleasure of playing #2 in January and it surpassed my expectations, which were certainly high. After the Old Course, they have my favorite set of greens, They may even be more treacherous than the Old Course. The renovation can be reviewed as nothing short of a smashing success. All of the areas off of the fairway are so challenging and a crap shoot. #2 has an extremely high green fee, but so worth it to me. Great golf, almost unbeatable to me.
February 17, 2014

Joey Ranieri
The course is unlike any other. I played it during a tournament in the winter, but it is a great one. The weather was chilly, but I heated up from the excitement of the course. I so want to play it again. The greens are so tough to hit on the approach shots and it's impossible to get up and down most of the time. Fun course, my favorite that I've played by far.
February 16, 2014

rikki
I have been to Pinehurst 3 times now and each time I play this course I enjoy it even more. A great test of golf with extremely difficult greens. It is worth mentioning that although the early courses are not highly rated the greens are truly amazing. In my last visit I played all 8 courses twice including the members only cousre. 1 and 3 are truly great designs for their times.
March 29, 2012

Hamish Wilson
I come from Scotland and play regularly on some of the top courses in the World. My test of a good course is whether I can remember all (or most) of the holes after playing it. It is over 15 years since I played No.2 and can still remember most of the holes. It is a truly great course with no tricked up holes. I played the year before the US Open was due to be played on it and I remember thinking that the pros would murder it. Clearly I had not taken into account the back tees and the speed of the greens! The whole set up at Pinehurst was marvellous and unforgetable. Go to any lengths to play this course!
December 10, 2010

Bill Daniels
Just Played No.2 last Monday. With the current renovations taking it back to its "original" design it is definitively not as "pretty" as I would have thought. Also some of the greens were distressed because of the extreme heat that N.C has had all summer. That being said it was the best course I have played. I loved the design, the layout and the challenge. Off the tees there is ample are to land a driver, if you are in the waste bunkers, or pine needles you can get out of it fairly easy. The challenge on this course is to plce your drive on the right side of the fairway to give yourself a good number to approach the greens. Dome shape greens all over the place need a good approach shot. A bad approach and you could be looking at a double bogey. The greens played moderate (maybe 10) but the caddy was needed to help read a lot of them. On a number of greens the ball breaks "up hill". They are continuing the renovations and it will be really interesting to see what the course looks like in 2014 for the US Open. There is NO rough so I have no clue what the USGA will do to protect the scores, but I bet the greens will be like concrete...
September 01, 2010

Bart Boudreaux
Love the layout, love the greens, love the feel, hate the conditioning. For a course of this stature, the cost of green fees, with cart path only the manicuring is inexcusable. If this track had great conditioning it would be hard to beat.
August 18, 2010

Ivan Lipko
Definitely the most overrated course I've ever played.Yes, it does have great, outstanding bunkering and the greens are outworldly.BUT, the condition is awful. The greens are super slow and soft and thus do not feel and play the way they should.The course is historic and the design is great but the poor conditioning as well as a very mediocre property it is built upon do not allow for more that a 5-ball mark.
July 10, 2010

Stuart S Tillery
Had the opportunity to play #2 several times sonce with Tony Jacklyn and another with Willie Mcrae(caddie) and will tell you that it is not the most beautifil course in the world, but maybe the strategeist course I have ever played. I figured out that hitting the greens here is not the best idea. When I played with Mr. Mcrae as my caddie I only hit 9 greens, but he told me where to lay up in front of the green to have the best chance for par. I shot even par thru 17 and used my putter from off the green most of the time from below the hole. I think that this course can not be played sucessfuly without a veteran caddie. bogey on 18. Have fun
July 09, 2010