Point at Polzeath - Cornwall - England

PL27 6QT,

• Jeremy Davies

• David Feherty, Tim Lobb

• Phil Brooks

Few golfers will have heard of The Point at Polzeath. It’s a new name on the golfing scene, which originally started out in life in the mid 1990s as Roserrow Golf & Country Club, designed by former Ryder Cupper turned broadcaster, Dave Feherty.

Located two miles to the north of Rock (home to St Enodoc Golf Club), The Point is set dramatically within 230 acres of undulating parkland where the views of the Pentire headland and the island of Newlands (an important seabird habitat) simply have to be savoured … especially from the clubhouse balcony with a drink in hand.

Roserrow failed dramatically during the recession and was acquired by husband and wife team Jeremy and Eva Davies in 2012. A new lease of life was quickly breathed into the facility. It was re-branded The Point at Polzeath and massive investment in new machinery, green staff and the involvement of Tim Lobb of design firm Thomson Perrett & Lobb ensued, completely turning the golf course around. The improvements are already significant but according to the owners, it’s still “work in progress”.

Architect Tim Lobb kindly provided us with the following comments:

“We have been working with Jeremy and the team at The Point at Polzeath for a number of years now to help create a golf course that is fun and exciting to play. Some re bunkering and opening up of the fairways and sightlines have helped to make the course fun and enjoyable to play. This combined with improved maintenance practices has meant the course is back on people's radar to play and enjoy. Kudos to team Point.”

Make no mistake, The Point is a big property and despite the relatively modest yardage on the scorecard (6,274 yards from the tips), the overall feeling is that you are playing a much bigger course. There is no feeling of being hemmed in at The Point, which after a relatively quiet start really comes alive at the par five 6th where, after a good drive, you’ll be faced with an unusual dry stone wall that makes you stop and ponder how to play your second shot. Do you take the safe option or do you go for the green?

Undoubtedly the signature hole at The Point is the 386-yard stroke index 1 par four 14th. This hole makes you think very hard about a lot of things. If your swing is a little shaky the tee shot will cause uncontrollable knee knocking. This hole has been changed significantly under the new management, as it was previously suffocated by tree growth. However, despite now being more open this is still a hole to deeply respect with its pretty stream cutting diagonally from left to right for the tee shot and then continuing to meander down the right side for the entire length of the hole. A new stream was uncovered along the left side, and although there’s now more space, it is deservedly The Point’s toughest hole and also the prettiest. We suspect few golfers will mark a 4 on their scorecard after putting out on the 14th green.

Seven bespoke luxury apartments were opened in 2015 offering self-catering accommodation for families and golfers visiting the gorgeous north Cornwall coast. With a lovely restaurant, voted one of the “30 best places to eat fish and chips in Britain” by the Times in 2014, two tennis courts, a health club that boasts a state of the art gym, a new studio offering a wide range of fitness classes and a recently refurbished pool area with a sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi, The Point really does have it all. Oh, we mustn’t forget to mention... it’s a mere 20-minute walk across the golf course to the surf of Polzeath Beach.

Reviews for Point at Polzeath

Description: Located two miles to the north of Rock, The Point at Polzeath is set dramatically within 230 acres of undulating parkland where the views of the Pentire headland and the island of Newlands simply have to be savoured... Rating: 4 out of 6 Reviews: 4

I played this course recently when visiting Cornwall recently, playing it purely on the basis that it was listed as a hidden gem on this website.

The only thing hidden gem about it, was that it was fairly tricky to find in amongst the lanes around this part of the country.

In terms of staff and club house, I agree with the other reviewers - it is very accommodating and is a good set up for societies with the onsite accommodation and health spa, with good views of the surrounding countryside and out to sea (in the distance). The staff were also very friendly and went over and above to make me feel welcome - no complaints there.

However don't come here expecting big things of the golf course, you will be disappointed especially when compared to the other courses in the area (listed on this site). It is a farm land track in very average condition lacking any real features. In terms of a challenge the wind is the only real defence, otherwise its a open, bland course with only slight variation as it wends around the wide open fairways. To be considered a real gem I would suggest spending some more on the course rather than the club house and non-golf facilities.

November 13, 2016

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not

I played the course 14 years ago and the redesigned version is very different, in fact the whole experience is! This is a great place to spend a day golfing with some of the best new facilities I've seen in a long time. I am fortunate to visit 50+ golf courses a year in the UK and this is the one I feel most compelled to review. The staff are second to none and offer a great welcome to golfers and non golfers alike and with so much on offer I wouldn't hesitate to base myself here for a Cornish holiday. While I appreciate this is a golf website, I have to mention the restaurant, gym, pool and fitness studio are the best I've seen at a golf resort in this country. The course itself has undergone many visual changes and is very pretty, anyone lucky enough to play Carya in Turkey will be familiar with the designers. I have played early season and late and both times the condition was excellent, especially the putting surfaces. It will be interesting to see just how far the owners take this course as the vision and enthusiasm of the whole team are a rare breed in the current golf market. I would expect lots of repeat custom from visitors in 2015/16 for years to come. I would recommend a buggy for the best playing experience and if there are golf/food offers available the catering is excellent! A must play for societies/groups !

September 30, 2016

The Point definitely flies under the radar in N. Cornwall with strong competition in St Enodoc, Trevose, Perranporth all offering traditional links experiences, but I wanted to try something new and had heard good things. I wasn't disappointed. Arriving early for my round, it didn't matter that they had forgotten to book me in - they were super welcoming and said I could tee off any time. The course was in fantastic condition after a spell of sustained wet weather - draining well and the greens were firm but fair and fairways cut generously but with penal wet second cut and main rough either side. The course gets going after 5 with the par 5 6th a real stand out with a blind tee and possible blind second shot. The par 3 7th is very attractive too. The 9th is a lovely dogleg back up to the clubhouse followed by a valley-hole 10th. The standout hole is the S.I 1 14th with its meandering streams and OoB looming on both sides. You need a strong drive and accuracy off the tee. Of the final 4 holes 17 is probably the most interesting with a drop off left and dog leg to a hidden green.

I can't fault the value for money, the condition of the course, the views of sea and the general variety of the holes - from open parkland style to valley and woodland with plenty of interest. The owner, Jeremy, who I talked to after is justifiably proud of the hard work they have put in since 2012, and it is still continuing with improvements to the clubhouse being made. There are parts of it that still feel a little rough around the edges - some of the areas around the course still look like ex-farm land, the signage looks a bit nailed on and the tee-box markers were a bit basic, but these are minor gripes. My golf was absolutely atrocious, but I didn't care too much - I will definitely be back next time I'm visiting Cornwall. All credit to the team at The Point!

September 29, 2016

The Point at Polzeath surprised me when Rachelle and I played the course last month. I teed it up at Roserrow soon after it opened back in the 1990s but I can’t find my original scorecard, nor can I remember anything about the round other than recalling the weather was cold and drizzly. Things have certainly changed after the passing of two decades and I now have plenty of stored memories following our recent visit. The opening four holes (routed around the new practice ground) are not particularly sparkling and I was worried that I’d again come away remembering little. The short par five 1st offers an early birdie opportunity and then three rather mundane par fours (despite new bunkering) precede a fair one-shotter at the 5th. A blind drive at the uphill par five 6th didn’t prepare me for what is over the brow where you’re faced with an unusual stonewall that ask questions for the second shot. The 6th green is tucked away at the bottom of the hill and you can’t see the target with your second, but it’s reachable for big hitters (not for me though). I liked the 6th hole and The Point continued to impress from thereon in. The terrain is very undulating although I wouldn’t describe it as overly hilly nor did we find it a tough walk. There’s plenty to keep even the best golfer occupied and the greens on the day we played were true, pretty fast and also very tricky to read with subtle and not so subtle borrows. We met the new owner after the round and he is a low single figure player who’s passionate about the property and also committed to continually improve the course. My feeling is that there’s more than enough to enjoy at The Point at Polzeath. Keith Baxter
September 03, 2015