- +27 (0) 41 374 3140
1 mile E of Port Elizabeth city centre
Jimmy Johnston, Bob Grimsdell, Golfscape
Founded in 1890, Port Elizabeth Golf Club quickly established itself as one of the leading lights in South African golf. Following the inception of the South African Tournament at Kimberley in 1892, Port Elizabeth then hosted the next three editions of the event before the club relocated to its present location in 1902.
The following year, the SA Tournament returned to Port Elizabeth for the fifth time and it included not only the Amateur Championship but the Open Championship, with four professionals and six amateurs competing in the event. Johannesburg-based pro Laurie Waters won the inaugural Open, posting a 36-hole aggregate score that beat his nearest rival by three strokes.
By 1934, Port Elizabeth had hosted eight Amateurs, five Opens, three Women’s Amateurs and three PGA Championships. In later years, the Amateur returned in 1974 and 1990, with the Women’s Amateur also taking place in 1979, 1998 and 2010. Twenty-four national titles decided during a 130-year history is good going for a rather unassuming club that lies in the shadow of nearby Humewood.
Unlike its illustrious neighbour on the coast, “The Hill” as it’s known locally, is a parkland layout with a variety of trees dotted around the property. Bob Grimsdell upgraded the course in 1952 then Danie Obermeyer and Philip Basson from Golfscape carried out a major renovation at the start of the new millennium, rebuilding greens and bunkers as well as replacing two holes.
Feature holes include right doglegging par fives at the 8th and 13th (with greenside water hazards affecting the approach shot to both holes); the heavily-bunkered short par four 16th; and the left doglegged 18th (rated stoke index 18) which offers an ideal opportunity to walk away from the home green having secured a birdie (or better) on the final hole.